- Food and Cooking»
- Food For Kids
Picky Kid Approved Cheddar Broccoli Soup and Fish Rollups
My 2 year old son is a fussy eater. He does, however, like most finger foods and soups. His favorite soup is broccoli cheddar. I tried something new with the fish sticks and he actually liked them. I try to use as many organic ingredients as possible to make it even healthier. My husband and I became fans of this dish as well. Enjoy!!
- 1 Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, unroll and cut pieces in half to get 16 triangular pieces
- 16 Frozen Fish Sticks
- 8 Slices of American Cheese, cut diagonally to have 16 triangles
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 1/2 cup Chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Sofrito
- 1/4 cup All purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- Salt as desired, I use 1 teaspoon
- Pepper as desired, I use 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 cups Coarsley chopped broccoli
- 1 cup Corn, (can substitute 1/2 cup of Julienned carrots)
- 8 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese
How to make Sofrito
Sofrito is a mixture of vegetables that will add a great flavor to rice, meat, soups, and many other dishes! Many Latin dishes call for this combination of vegetables. I personally use it often and so I make a lot, save it in a jar, and scoop it out
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Roll out the crescent rolls and cut in halves to get 16 pieces. Cut the cheese slices so that you have 16 pieces. Place a piece of American cheese on it then a fish stick and roll it up. Continue until you finish 16 roll ups. Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes.
- In a soup pan melt butter and add chicken broth. Next add Sofrito (can substitute 1 tbsp of finely chopped onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 tsp chopped fresh cilantro, and 1 tablespoon finely chopped red bell pepper). Whisk in flour. Add milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg. Simmer for 20 min.
- Add chopped broccoli and corn(or carrots). Next, add cheese and stir constantly for 20 min. Take off heat and let it cool down for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!!
Try my son's other favorite recipes!
- Sweet and Tangy Apple Pie
I like this recipe because the lemon juice makes the taste remind me of sherbet and I love sherbet!It was also a hit with the family and I had to share it here.
- Hearty Rice with Bacon, Black Beans, and Corn.
This rice is a meal by itself. It's hearty and tasty! It's great for when you want to make food for a sick friend. You can make a big pot of this rice for your friend and she/he can feed him/herself and her/his family for almost a week! It's great fo
- Michelle's Banging Chicken Pot Pie
My husband loves chicken pot pie and so I borrowed from some great recipes and then did a little improvisation and Voila! It was, in my husband' words, "banging!!"