- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Mediterranean Pumpkin Salad
This is a great salad for potluck or dinner parties as it can be made well in advance. For bigger crowds just double up the quantity. Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 red or green pepper
1 medium-hot pepper
400 gram / approx. 1 medium butternut squash (or other firm pumpkin)
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
100 ml vegetable broth
Sea salt & pepper to taste
2 garlic cloves
2-3 tbsp. olive oil
A handful of roughly chopped parsley
2 tomatoes or a handful of cherry tomatoes
A handful of olives
- Peel the pumpkin, remove the seeds and cut into cubes (approx. 1 cm / ½ inch).
- Chop onion.
- Cut Peppers in half, remove seeds and cut into long strips.
- Cut medium-hot pepper in half, remove all seeds and cut into little chunks.
- Cut tomatoes into cubes or half the cherry tomatoes.
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in frying pan and fry onion, pepper, hot pepper and pumpkin for approx. 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, vinegar and vegetable broth to pan and cook at medium heat for approx. 5-10 minutes, depending on firmness of pumpkin. Important: Don’t overcook, pumpkin should still be a bit firm (al dente)!
- Season with salt & freshly ground pepper and let cool off.
- Peel the garlic cloves, put through garlic press and add to the vegetables.
- Add another 2-3 tbsp. olive oil, chopped parsley and tomatoes.
- Mix vegetables well.
- Garnish with some olives.
Other pumpkin recipes by Novascotiamiss
- European Pumpkin Bread
There's nothing better than the taste of home-made bread. This quick and easy Pumpkin Bread is best served with soups or salads.
- Quick and easy Chicken, Pumpkin and Chickpea Curry
A quick and easy curry recipe that integrates chicken and vegetables in one pot. Just the right thing for cold winter nights.
- Raw pumpkin, beet and sauerkraut salad
The health benefits of pumpkin, beet and sauerkraut are amazing. Combined together this tasty salad is a vitamin bomb that will help you fight off the flue as well as the winter blues.
- Mediterranean Pumpkin , Tomato and Goat Cheese Dip
There's more to pumpkin than just pumpkin pie. You can use your leftover pumpkin puree to make this amazingly easy dip.