- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Vegetable Main & Side Dish Recipes
Methi Thepla Recipe| How To make Indian Fenugreek-Bottle Gourd Flat Bread| Most Popular Gujarati Dish "Thepla" Recipe
"Thepla" is basically a flat bread, originated and popular with Gujarati people in India.Thepla is an integral part of all Gujarati family's everyday meal.They are so fond of this dish that they take it for picnics, travelling and everywhere possible.Theplas can be eaten with curd,chutney (especially the garlic chutney).It can be served hot or otherwise.
Methuior the fenugreek Thepla is the most popular one, but one can add Bottle Guard to this recipe.This makes the dish more healthy and delicious.
More Yummy Recipes:
- Chicken Chilli Dry Recipe | Chili Chicken Dry Recipe
- Mughlai Chicken Recipe : A spicy Indian Chicken Dish
- Schezwan Chicken Stir-Fry Recipe
- Kashmiri Chicken Recipe
- Dhania (Coriander) Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Curry with Sweet Potato :A Healthy Indian Ch...
- Navaratan Korma Recipe
- Paneer (Cottage cheese) in Hot Garlic Sauce Recipe
- Sweet Corn Soup (Veg) Recipe
- Vegetable Fried Ball : Nutritional Indian Snacks
- 2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 4 tbsp Fenugreek Leaves, Dried
- 2/3 tbsp Yogurd
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2/3 tbsp Coriander Leaves, Minced
- 1 tbsp Garlic and Green Chili, paste
- Warm Water, as Required
- Salt, As per taste
- Sugar, As per taste
- 1/2 cup Bottle Gourd, Smashed
- Take a big bowl and mix well the whole wheat and warm water.Add little oil to the mixture.
- Take another different bowl and mix all other ingredients (yogurt, cumin powder, chili powder,coriander powder,salt,ginger and green chili paste,turmeric powder and fenugreek leaves and smashed bottle gourd).
- Mix this yogurd mixture with whole wheat.
- Kneat the mixture and add additional taer to form the dough (in ball shape).
- Cover the mixture for 20-22 mins.
- Roll it and make a shape of a disc by dusting it with dry flour.
- Heat the flat skillet.
- Place the roll theplas on the skillet and cook for some times.
- Turn it around and place oil and cook slightly.Then again turn it and put more oil in this.Roast it.
- When the brown spots appear, your theplas are ready to serve.
- Serve it hot with curd or Chutney.
Fried with Oil
Some Useful Tips:
## Before mix the fenugreek leaves to the flour, add some salt to the leaves and leave it for 5-10 mins.Squeeze the extra water from the fenugreek leaves, which help to reduce the bitterness of the leaves.
## One can avoid the ginger and green chili paste to improve the health factor of the dish. It is just required to make the dish spicier, nothing else.
## Gujarati people add some sugar but it is optional.
## One can add Mango Pickle to the dough but I only added when I really have it in hand.
## To avoid indigestion, one can add Carom seeds (1/2 tbsp) while making the dough.
## Methi / Fenugreek leaves are known for helping in decreasing Cholesterol level as well as cardiovascular risk. Also in the Indian society it is being used by new mothers for increasing production of breast milk. It helps in digestion and get rid of acidity as well as heartburn.
## Bottle gourd consists of more than 92% water while the rest is readily digestible fiber making it very easy to digest. It helps in reducing weight and level of blood sugar.
## It is advisable to consume Bottle gourd for getting rid of constipation. This is also known for helpful in treating insomnia and urinary infections.
Spicy Methi Thepla
Nutrition facts of Methi Thepla:
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 17 g||6%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 93 mg||31%|
|Sodium 30 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Methi (Fenugreek) Thepla
More Facts About Methi Thepla:
There are so many reasons that's motivating a Bengali girl like me to write a hub about Thepla "a Gujarati Dish". I already mentioned many of reasons to eat Methi Theplas, besides these, there is one more thing to mention i.e. When I prepare the dish I preserve it for one or two days, because Theplas stay fine for long. I love spicy dishes and Thepla is one of the spiciest paratha I have ever made.
Hope the recipe will help you friends to enhance your daily life diets.
© 2013 M K Paul