Recipe: Breakfast Rice (A Gluten-Free Meal)
Gluten-Free Morning Goodness
Some mornings it's hard to figure out what to make for breakfast, especially since we have a gluten-free diet. It's really expensive to keep cereal on hand in a 4-person household when a box of gluten-free cereal ranges from $8-$10. So, we do a lot of egg-based breakfasts, simple gluten-free crêpes, and fried potatoes with turkey sausages. Hearty breakfasts are nice and help us get off to a good start, but sometimes, we want quick and simple. Those are the days that we do Breakfast Rice.
The husband and I have different ideas what constitutes Breakfast Rice. He likes just butter and brown sugar melted into the hot rice. I like brown sugar and warm milk in mine, although recently he's convinced me that a hint of butter really does add a nice touch.
Because Breakfast Rice really depends on your personal preference, the ingredients and quantities below are merely guidelines.
- 1 cup cooked rice, hot
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk, (optional)
- Put the rice in a bowl;
- Add butter and brown sugar;
- Stir until the butter is melted and the ingredients are thoroughly combined;
- Add milk, if using and enjoy.
While this recipe is yummy as is, here are a few tasty ideas to try:
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice;
- Substitute the brown sugar with honey, maple syrup or corn syrup;
- Add raisins, soaked in hot water for a few minutes to make them soft and plump.
© 2013 Rosa Marchisella