Recipe: Gluten-Free Pie Crust
How to you like this recipe?
Before You Start
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F
- Total time 20 minutes
You will need a 8-inch pie pan.
Sweet rice flour is also called "glutinous rice flour" due to its stickiness, but is absolutely celiac-friendly.
- ½ cup shortening or butter
- 1 ½ cups sweet rice flour
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp cold water
- Combine salt, sugar and rice flour;
- Cut shortening into flour mixture;
- Add water;
- Continue working dough until soft - be careful not to overwork the dough or it will fall apart;
- Place dough in pie pan and press into the bottom and sides;
- Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork to prevent air pockets from bubbling up;
- Put in oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown;
- Remove from oven and let cool.
This versatile crust can be used with your favourite quiche or pie filling.