- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Sucuklu Yumurta Recipe - How to Make Fried Eggs for Breakfast Topped with Turkish Sucuk Sausage
Start your day with an appetizing breakfast.
Another popular egg dish commonly served for breakfast in Turkey is sucuklu yumurta , a delicious Turkish-style fried eggs topped with a dry and spicy beef sausage called sucuk.
Since the early years, sucuk (pronounced as su-juk) has already been traditionally eaten for breakfast from the Balkans to the Middle East and Central Asia. Turkish sucuk, also known as soudjouk or sujuk in other neighboring European countries, is made locally with ground beef, seasoned with a variety of spices such as garlic, cumin, sumac, salt and pepper. The sausage is then dried for several weeks causing it to become hard and stiff. When sucuk is cooked, it produces a very strong appetizing aroma and flavor.
Since sucuk is usually not eaten raw, the Turks usually fry it without the need for using oil. When cooked alone, it goes well with Turkish bread, cheese, olives, hard boiled eggs, fresh slices of tomatoes and cucumbers which all make up for a typical Turkish breakfast. When cooked along with eggs (sucuklu yumurta), it makes a very healthy dish to start your day.
Sometimes, sucuk is also used with a variety of Turkish main and side dishes such as sucuklu kuru fasulye or white beans with sucuk sausage. Due to its very strong, appetizing taste and aroma, sucuk can easily satisfy anyone’s appetite may it be for breakfast, snacktime or dinner.
Below is a very simple and easy-to-cook sucuklu yumurta recipe that can surely boost anyone’s appetite during a warm summer or cold winter breakfast.
Here’s how to make this Turkish style fried eggs for a delicious breakfast:
Things You’ll Need
- stainless steel or non-stick frying pan
- fork (for turning)
- serving plate
- 1 teaspoon olive, corn, or sunflower oil
- 4 large eggs
- 6-8 thin slices of sucuk
- a pinch of pepper
- a pinch of salt
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Place all the sausages lying down side by side on the bottom of the frying pan.
- Cook the sucuk sausages slightly on both sides, turning each side through the help of a fork. You may notice when they are ready for turning over as soon they start to release its own fat or turns a little red brown.
- As soon as
both sides had been slightly cooked, start moving the slices of sucuk sausages
using fork to make room for the eggs or you may remove all the sucuk from the pan, crack the eggs in and immediately put the sucuk back on top of the eggs.
- Gently crack the eggs one after the other and pour directly on the spaces in-between the sausages.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until the eggs (especially the whites) are fully cooked.
- Carefully remove the pie-like scrambled eggs and transfer it to a plate with the help of a spatula.
Serve hot with ekmek , a traditional Turkish bread or with pide , a Middle Eastern flatbread, a bowl of green salad, and a cup of Turkish tea.
Yields 2-3 servings.
Afiyet olsun! (Have a good appetite!)
You Might Also Like:
- Menemen, Turkish Style Scrambled Eggs
"Menemen" (Photo by Loren Akten. All Rights Reserved) Make yourself some Turkish-style scrambled eggs for breakfast. I always love to wake up early in the morning knowing that a certain light...
- Peynirli Pogaca - A Turkish Puff Pastry Filled With Cheese
Poaca, one of the many puff pastries I love to eat for breakfast or as a tea-time snack is a type of dough-based salty puff pastry which has so many diffrerent varieties in terms of filling. Peynirli...
- How to Make Kiymali Borek - A Recipe for Turkish Phyllo Pastry With Minced Meat Filling
Brek is a well-loved phyllo pastry in the Turkish cuisine that has over fifty different varieties. It is usually eaten hot during breakfast or as an afternoon tea time snack. One of the many...
- Easy Breakfast Recipe - How to Make a Cheese Mushroom Omelet / Omelette
If you have eggs, you have breakfast. Do you agree? Perhaps you do but wait! Why not turn your eggs into a savory breakfast? Instead of just having the simple hard boiled eggs every morning, why not...
- Easy Breakfast Recipe: How to Make Homemade Bread
How does it feel to wake up in the morning with the smell of some freshly baked bread lingering inside your home? Great! Isn't it? Theres just something with it that makes you quickly jump out...
- Easy & Healthy Recipe: How to Make Homemade Thin-Crust Pizza
"Healthy Thin-Crust Pizza"Who doesn't love pizza? I guess everyone loves pizza... and I love pizza, too! It's just probably the most convenient and healthy fast food that can easily satisfy a persons...