- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines
How To Make Cambodian Sweet and Sour Fish With Green Mango: Khmer Southeast Asian Recipe
- Prep time: 25 min
- Cook time: 35 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: Serves 4
Sweet and Sour Fish With Green Mango Recipe
In Cambodia, Srok Khmer Southeast Asia, Mangoes are a favorite fruit and are very healthy to eat. Many Cambodian and Southeast Asian Recipes call for Mango, particularly, Green or Unripened Mangoes.
The reason is that because of the hot and humid climate, Mangoes are only ripe for about a month.
What to do with all the extra Mangoes? Use them before they get ripe! No Mangoes go rotten in Cambodia! They are a little sour and tart but they are very delicious.
You have to try Green Mangoes for a different taste experience! This is a great recipe to get started!
Cambodian Cuisine is quite different from many other Asian and Southeast Asian foods and the Ingredients are very unique.
This recipe is for Sweet and Sour Fish with Green Mangoes and is sure to delight!
This dish offers a perfect balance of Sweetness from the Palm Sugar, and just the right amount of Sour from the Tart Green Mangoes.
Short Clip of Traditional Asian Music
Let's look at the Ingredients used to make this delicious and healthy recipe. Most of these ingredients are available at your local grocery store on found in Specialty Asian Markets:
Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Fish with Green Mango Recipe
How to Prepare
Cooking Oil (Olive Oil Recommended)
Firm White Fish Fillet with Skin (recommend Sea Bass, Haddock or Tilapia
1 1/4 lbs (600g)
Cut into medium pieces
Peel and Chop
Palm or Brown Sugar
Quartered (cut into 4 pieces)
2 small unripened mangoes
Peel and Chop
Sugar Cane (optional)
about 3 inches (7.5 cm)
Cut into "Matchsticks"
Thai Basil Leaves
1 small bunch
Coriander (Cilantro) Leaves
1 small bunch
Wok or Skillet (recommend Cast Iron)
medium sized pan
For Frying the Fish
To Drain Oil from Fish
Sweet and Sour Fish with Green Mango Cooking Instructions:
- Heat the Oil in the Wok or Skillet over High Heat.
- Once hot, add the Fish (with skin on) until Golden in color.
- Remove Fish and drain on Paper Towels.
- Add Garlic to the pan and stir occasionally until Browned.
- Add the Sugar and the Fish Sauce and continue cooking until the mixture starts to Caramelize.
- Add the Tomatoes, Green Mangoes and Sugar Cane and Stir-Fry for a few minutes.
- Add the Fish and Mix Well.
- Cook for an additional 15 minutes over Low Heat, without stirring again.
- Garnish with the Basil and Coriander (Cilantro) Leaves and Serve Hot!
Jong Yam? (Ready to eat?)
As you can see, this recipe is delicious and is very easy to make! Amaze your friends at your next Super Bowl Party or try making this for a date night! Still not full yet? Check out the bonus recipes below!
Rate This Recipe!
Using Cast Iron Cookware
- Tips on How to Store and Clean Your Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Oven Pans
This article is all about Cast Iron Cookware: Benefits, Seasoning Techniques, Cleaning and Storage to keep your Cast Iron in Great Shape! Photos included!
Have You Ever Eaten Cambodian Khmer Food?
Have You Ever Tried Cambodian Food?
Looking For More Mango and Southeast Asian Cambodian Recipes?
Take a look at these Authentic Southeast Asian Cambodian Khmer Recipes! They are Healthy and Easy To Make!
Make Green Mango Dipping Sauce!
- How To Make Asian Dipping Sauces: Green Mango, Chili Coriander, and Tamarind Dips
One of the most common foods found in Cambodian and many other Southeast Asian homes, that are easy to make and inexpensive, are Dipping Sauces which are shared with friends over a great conversation!
Make Fresh Spring Rolls at Home!
- How To Make Healthy Fresh Spring Salad Summer Rolls With Shrimp Rice Paper Cambodian Nam Chow Recipe
Many Asian cultures eat Spring Rolls (often called Salad or Summer Rolls) but this recipe comes from Cambodia, Southeast Asia. You can add shrimp or omit it depending on your desired taste. Simple. Delicious. Healthy!
Featured Article: "The Benefits Of Mango" by Rajan Jolly
- The Benefits Of Mango
Mango, the King Of Fruits, is a much liked fruit with each and every part of the mango tree being used for health purposes. To know more read on.....
Cambodian Khmer Recipe Collection
- Cambodian Khmer Southeast Asian Food: Cooking Asian Cuisine Recipe Collection
This article is a collection of Southeast Asian Cambodian (Khmer) Recipes. These recipes are delicious, healthy and easy to make!
Learn About Cambodia: The Kingdom of Srok Khmer In Photos!
- About Cambodia, Srok Khmer: Facts, Fun, and Photos: A Guide To Cambodian Culture
Cambodia has a long and interesting history, including one of the worst atrocities to ever happen to a single country. The Khmer Rouge killed millions of innocent people in this genocide. This article includes recent pictures that my wife took...
Learn to Read, Write and Speak Cambodian Khmer!
- Learn How To Speak and Write Cambodian: An Introduction To The Khmer Language
An introduction to Khmer, the language of Cambodia. Includes pronunciation, character/letter writing, original photos and drawings. This is the best guide for a beginner who wants to learn how to read, write, and speak Khmer Cambodian.