Sweet and Sour Chicken and Veggies Empanadas
I love to make empanadas. My husband and I enjoy coming up with new things to fill them up with. I recently tried a sweet and sour chicken recipe that was delicious. So my husband says "I have the new empanada idea!" "that chicken you made, with carrots, water chestnuts, and the sweet and sour sauce!". So here is my version of what he asked for. He loved it!
****For this recipe I only made a minor change. Cook the chicken in the pan until it is cooked through, (Don't bake and don't add the sauce) and make the sauce on the side.***
- 1 lb cooked chicken, ****use recipe link for sweet and sour chicken above*****
- 1 cup thinly sliced baby carrots
- 1//3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tblsp minced ginger
- 4 thinly sliced green onions
- 10 empanada shells, Found in the freezer section in ethnic foods
- some flour
- 1 cup sweet and sour sauce, ****use recipe link for sweet and sour chicken above*****
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Use the recipe found ****Just make a couple of changes******* cook the chicken in the pan until it is cooked through, (Don't bake and don't add the sauce) and make the sauce on the side.
- Coat the bottom of a wok with olive oil spray. Add carrots, celery, and 1/4 cup of water. Let cook until carrots are soft. Next add the salt, pepper, garlic, chicken, and water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, green onions, cup of sweet and sour sauce. Simmer for about 10 min.
- Preheat oven to 375 F and portion the filling into 10 equal parts.
- defrost the empanada shells by putting them in the microwave for about 45 sec depending on your appliance. Spread some flour on a clean counter and rub some flour on the first empanada so that it doesn't stick to the rolling pin. Make the empanada flatter and bigger. The bigger you get it, the crispier it will be, but it also becomes weaker so be careful when handling the shell. Add the filling and fold over. Next, fold one corner over and continue until you get to the other side. (might take some practice) Repeat process until all the shells and filling are used. Brush the empanadas with the eggwash.
- Bake @ 375 F for about 25 min or until golden brown.
Other Great Recipes
- Cast Iron Skillet Deep Dish Pizza
My husband had a craving for deep dish, but he wanted to try something new. So he made a deep dish pizza in a cast iron skillet. It was yummy!
- Flavor Blast Lasagne Cups
Lasagne cups are nothing new. Although if you like your food very flavorful like me or my family, then this is the recipe for you. My family loves this recipe. They especially liked the use of the wonton wraps, which gave the Lasagne cups a crispy bo
- Picky Kid Approved Cheddar Broccoli Soup and Fish Rollups
My 2 year old son is a fussy eater. He does, however, like most finger foods and soups. His favorite soup is broccoli cheddar. I tried something new with the fish sticks and he actually liked them. We became fans as well. Enjoy!!