jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is re-heating chicken really dangerous?

1. stricktlydating profile image83
    stricktlydatingposted 8 years ago

Is re-heating chicken really dangerous?

I've been told I shouldn't re-heat chicken that's been previously cooked as it could cause food poisening. But I've always re-heated it.

2. marcofratelli profile image71
    marcofratelliposted 8 years ago

No I think that's fine. If you have cooked it a day or two before and have kept it in the fridge since, it should be ok.

However, I know that with any chicken/meat that has been frozen, once you take it out of the freezer and defrost it, you cannot re-freeze it. You have to either cook it (in which case you can also reheat it the next day, like a left-over) or throw it out.

3. earner profile image87
    earnerposted 8 years ago

Reheating cooked chicken meat is not dangerous, but you do need to know how to do it safely. Find out how to safely reheat leftover cooked chicken so it turns out perfectly every time. read more

4. only1daddysgirl profile image48
    only1daddysgirlposted 8 years ago

No, but they say in a micro wave yeah! LOL

5. vjones40 profile image55
    vjones40posted 8 years ago

It is ok to reheat chicken.  I reheat chicken all the time.  When reheating chicken it need to be cooked at atleast 175 degrees.  It keeps the bacteria from growing.

6. stefanp profile image57
    stefanpposted 8 years ago

Reheating ANY meat can be dangerous if you don't follow a few simple rules. I think it's possible the person that gave you that advice may rely on wive's tales for their sources. I reheat chicken all the time and have never been sickened by it. Poultry is usually in its most dangerous state when it is raw. Always wash everything that comes in contact with raw poultry. If you are reheating thoroughly cooked (165F), properly stored (below41F) poultry, you shouldn't have a problem. The temperature danger zone for bacteria growth is between 41 F and 140F. The longer your food stays in that zone, the more chance for bacteria growth. When heating to serve, or cooling to store food, you should always try to transition through the danger zone as quickly as possible. Microwaves are wonderful for reheating and double boiler (bowl in a bowl)style ice baths are excellent for cooling. Bon Apetite

working