jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What type of potatoes should you use when making potato soup and do you peel the

1. Pearldiver profile image81
    Pearldiverposted 7 years ago

What type of potatoes should you use when making potato soup and do you peel them?

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image95
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 7 years ago

Pearldiver asked about potato soup, what kind of potatoes ar to be used and whether the skins or jackets should be peeled or left in tact. Here are some recipes that combine different potatoes and ways of cooking them in soups. read more

3. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

I'm sure this all depends on individual preference, but my own favorite are red potatoes. These potatoes are flavorful, easy to cut up and maintain their shape without getting mushy much longer than other types of potatoes. White potatoes come in second, while russets tend to be last place...being much more suited, in my opinion, to baked potatoes than potato soup. I never peel my potatoes; each potato is thoroughly scrubbed to remove the dirt from the peel, but the peel itself goes into the soup since it is the most flavorful and nutritious part of the entire potato, without it you pretty much just have a lump of starch.

4. profile image0
    Derdriuposted 7 years ago

I like to use red potatoes, and I never peel them.

5. Beth-Woodard profile image72
    Beth-Woodardposted 5 years ago

There's absolutely no reason why you cant use sweet potato for soups, but yes it would be better to peel the skin, go to my site for hints on how to grow your own

http://beth-woodard.hubpages.com/hub/Gr … t-Potatoes

6. thefedorows profile image81
    thefedorowsposted 3 years ago

I say, use whatever you have on hand!  The potato soup we make most uses russet potatoes, as we can buy a big 10 pound bag for $3.  Sometimes we peel the potatoes and sometimes we don't.  It depends on time!  An easy recipe we like is to boil about 4 medium cubed potatoes in 4 cups of chicken stock/broth.  When the potatoes are soft, turn the heat off and mash with a fork or potato masher.  The starch that is released helps to thicken the soup.  Add 4-8 ounces of softened cream cheese and a dash of cayenne pepper.  That's it!  Yum!

working