jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Bananas -- why do shoppers ...

1. dabeaner profile image57
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

Bananas -- why do shoppers ...

Why do most shoppers, when buying bananas, pick up a bunch, tear off and discard one, two, three, and keep the rest of the bunch?  Why don't they take a bunch with a smaller number of bananas?  Or why don't they take the loose bananas?  I am not talking about ones that are too ripe, too green, or that have bruises, but perfectly good bananas?

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

No idea, we've got the same over here, I'll have to watch this question in hope of an answer.

3. sugz profile image75
    sugzposted 7 years ago

i used to work in a fruit and vegie shop when i was younger, and i always wondered that exact same thing.. but when i used to buy bananas.. (since i've had my kids, i'm allergic to them so, i never buy them now) but when i did.. if i wanted a whole bunch, i'd buy them, otherwise just tear a few off an get those.

initially it's a quantity thing..
    soem want a few some want a lot, some just want one. smile

when it comes to already having bunches of just 1, 2 or 3.. it comes under the subconcious hygene response.. it represents somebody else already handling them.. therefore, we tend to go for that which appears untouched...
    another summary was taken many years ago of the 'single person shopping' as to how many banana's a single person would buy, a large bunch meant they were trying to replace an aspect in their relatiohnships or using them inappropriatly lol a small bunch meant they were desperately  looking for soemone to fill their lives and one or two banana's meant they were relatively content and selective in their relationships.

4. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 7 years ago

I generally look for a bunch that has a desirable number in my opinion but if the bunches are too big you gotta separate them ... who cares how many people touched them though, I have bought one banana before and I survived. People shouldn't discriminate against one lonely banana, you eat the inside part anyway.
    rofl How did you even think of this question ...

5. dabeaner profile image57
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

Mr Happy:  Earlier that evening I bought some bananas.  I admit I have that tendency myself, but am aware of it.  What prompted the question here was observing a woman at the same time, who was studiously examining several bunches before choosing one and tearing off a couple to make a smaller bunch.  There were many smaller bunches and singles she could have chosen. There must be some psychological or hereditary/instinct thing.  Maybe what sugz said or ????

6. nifty@50 profile image74
    nifty@50posted 7 years ago

When I was shopping for green bananas for my Pasteles recipe I did this very thing, because I only needed a certain number of bananas and no more. I picked the smallest bunch but it still had two too many, so I picked them off. Bunches are easier to carry, this is why most people don't grab like 3 or more loose ones! Also people weigh them to determine how many they are willing to pay for and then discard the excess. I think the reason people break down a large bunch over grabbing a bunch with the number of bananas they need is the perception of freshness

7. puebloman profile image61
    pueblomanposted 7 years ago

This may not be the answer you re expecting but here goes.

Consumers are utterly passive. They have no choice whatsoever except in the non sensual margins of price.

The act of grasping and tearing at a bunch of bananas is Neanderthal. We are after all, only monkeys . .

The mystical sense that we know something about bananas, not evident to the casual observer, is also an issue. After all, our DNA is 95% the same as a banana. Think of it as mankind wrestling with a life form only just inferior to itself . . .