what flour blend substitute should I use for making homemade pasta? For example

1. profile image45
    Jerylposted 7 years ago

what flour blend substitute should I use for making homemade pasta?  For example, I will be...

making potato gnocchi tomorrow.  What if I were making any other type of pasta?

2. modern housewife profile image89
    modern housewifeposted 7 years ago

All purpose flour works just fine for gnocchi and most other pastas like penne, ravioli or angel hair.  For my noodles I use AP flour, salt, egg yolks and a teeny bit of water.  If you are looking for a little variation, try substituting tomato or spinach puree for the water for red and green pasta.

3. Wayne Tilden profile image60
    Wayne Tildenposted 7 years ago

If you really want to go way out for something different, instead of using traditional pasta for those spaghetti dishes, here is what we sometimes do.
    Cook up a Spaghetti Squash - available seasonably at most produce departments - then open it and scrape the insides out per the instructions which are usually on the skin.
    Set that aside.
    Cook some French-cut green beans until they are just past al'dente. Drain, then set aside.
    Now combine the squash insides and the green beans until they are well mixed.
    Treat them as you would any other spaghetti by adding sauces, cheese, etc.
    This isn't a substitute for good old fashioned pasta, but it is much lower in calories and carbohydrates.
    Let me know how you like it.

working