jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is there a good substitute for all purpose flour when it comes to gluten free co

1. ChasingAutumn profile image60
    ChasingAutumnposted 6 years ago

Is there a good substitute for all purpose flour when it comes to gluten free cooking?

2. RTalloni profile image89
    RTalloniposted 6 years ago

Sorghum, almond, garbanzo, many more. My favorite is oat flour, but I find that a mix of gluten free flours often works well for baking.  Do some research on GF cupcakes to get an idea of professionals are using.

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

You have to be careful with oat flour as oats in the US are often contaminated with gluten.  Unless your oat flour specifically states that it is gluten free avoid it if you have Celiac. 

Otherwise if you are looking for a preprepared mixture the best All Purpose Gluten Free flour I have found for both taste and consistency is the brand made by the Gluten Free Pantry.  Buying flours like this is pricey. 

Another idea is to buy the ingredients in bulk to make your own mix - something I am going to do.  Rice flour, potato starch and tapioca starch are what you use for the mix and store it in an airtight container.  You can buy these in bulk online and you will end up with much more flour the recipe I am using (and I may have to tweak it depending on how much I like it) is 6 cups rice flour, 2 cups potato starch, 1 cup tapioca starch.  You add Xanthan gum to the mix at baking time depending on what you're making.  Some recipes need it and others don't. 

Def. buy xanthan gum in bulk because it is FAR cheaper than buying little containers of it.  I bought a pound of the stuff on eBay a year ago and have over half left.  You only need a small bit in any recipe but it works so well to hold GF ingredients together and I also use it as a thickener in sauce and gravies etc.

4. profile image0
    Rogene Robbinsposted 5 years ago

I know this is an old question, but I'm new around here and decided to go ahead and answer it.  Someone else may be looking for an answer to the same question and come across this.

There are as many opinions about which gluten free flour is best as there are gluten free cooks, so I usually tell people just go to the health food store or the gluten free section of the regular grocery store and choose a gluten free flour blend to get started.  Once you've tried baking a few things you will have a better idea of what direction you need to go.

I started out with Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend and I still use it.  I also make my own blends and sometimes I use brown rice flour alone.  I have found that I like different flours for different uses.

working