jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What's a good substitute (if there are any) for noodles in a pasta dish?

1. tastiger04 profile image81
    tastiger04posted 4 years ago

What's a good substitute (if there are any) for noodles in a pasta dish?

Just curious if anyone found any "healthy" options when it comes to making pasta....noodles are unarguably the best part, but once in a while I run into someone who is avoiding carbs when I am trying to prep a meal.

2. bearnmom profile image64
    bearnmomposted 4 years ago

I've tried the various gluten free and wheat based noodles and they just don't have the same flavor.  There just are no carb free substitutes.  My suggestion is to do the Chicken Cacciatore or Chicken Parmesan which do not call for noodles but that again doesn't give you the true Italian spaghetti feeling which has been and always is my favorite.

tastiger04posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, bearnmom! Yeah, I didn't think there was....I have tried the gluten free ones before, and they do not make good leftovers whatsoever! I do love pasta noodles, but next time I may just cook Chicken Parmesan for the picky eaters smile

3. mio cid profile image48
    mio cidposted 4 years ago

the only pasta dish that i can think of right now is polenta.you serve it the same way you would pasta on the plate with the sauce on top and toped with parmesan grated cheese

Oh polenta is a good idea too! Thanks for the suggestions smile

4. Efficient Admin profile image93
    Efficient Adminposted 4 years ago

My first thought was Orzo, but when I checked the box it is indeed an "enriched macroni product" and has 41 grams of carbs for 1/2 cup, so that won't do you any good.  I sure do love some Orzo with a little bit of real butter and salt.

How about some Quinoa?  Quinoa is a grain and has 18 grams of carbs for 1 ounce, which is 28 grams.  Quinoa is flexible where you can serve it with both vegetables and meat, or even throw some into a soup mixture.  Try cooking it with either vegetable or chicken broth instead of plain water and that will give it some extra flavor.

Good idea,.Efficient Admin. I didn't even think of quinoa.....I love.that stuff. Orzo is great idea too. Thanks for the input! smile

5. allisonlawrence profile image74
    allisonlawrenceposted 4 years ago

If you want to avoid pasta all together you can use zucchini as a substitute in noodles or lasagna. You can use a julienne peeler to make noodles or a mandolin slicer to make lasagna. I've made zucchini lasagna before for guests who were gluten free. It was a hit, and I actually have it on my meal plan to make again this week. Highly recommended!

working