Does anyone know how to make this?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Just Ask Susan profile image88
    Just Ask Susanposted 13 years ago

Does anyone know how to make this?

My friends mother used to make this fruit liquor concoction that was really yummy. She would put fruit in a very large glass jar with some type of alcohol and it would sit on her counter for months I think she used to add fruit to it. I'm not really sure as it was so long ago. Anyways every once in awhile she would open the jar and spoon it over ice-cream. It was delicious and I have been trying to find out about this for years now. Wish I was still in contact with this old friend of mine.

2. Hmrjmr1 profile image67
    Hmrjmr1posted 13 years ago

use a canning jar and the preferred alcohol is Rum, but Vodka will work as well. if you want to add a bit of spice add a shot of anise. The key is to fill the jar with fruit first then fill the jar to the top with the alcohol and seal the jar, three to six weeks should be adequate time to let it age.

3. Docmo profile image92
    Docmoposted 13 years ago

You can use a pickling or Mason jar and drown the peeled and sliced peaches, apricots, plums,cherries (or any other fruit that takes your fancy)  with 80% proof alcohol- Rum or Brandy will be ideal.  It preserves the fruit - the alcohol keeps it sterile - the fruit takes on the alcohol flavours and the alcohol infuses with the fruit flavourings. You can also sweeten it with some sugar. Occasionally puréed berries can make a potent combination with some wine and will make a brilliant coulis to use with your deserts. yum. The fruit-alcohol combination is a great way to preserve summer fruits so they last all year long. The alcohol can be used to douse other desserts too as the fruit flavours enhance the experiences.

4. nakmeister profile image68
    nakmeisterposted 13 years ago

We have done this with blackberries that we pick from hedgerows in the autumn. Get a bottle of vodka, pour a bit out and then stuff full of berries. Store out of the sun. Every couple of days, take the bottle out, turn it upside down a couple of times to get the fruit circulating evenly in the bottle. After 2 or 3 months it is ready to either drink or could be poured over ice cream.

5. 123chri123 profile image39
    123chri123posted 13 years ago

The whole process undergoes fermentation,no matter how you mix it,it will still give you the same result.

6. Vicki.Pierce profile image70
    Vicki.Pierceposted 13 years ago

I am so glad you asked this question.  I remember my mom doing the same concoction.  I think I need to get out the mason jars!

7. cascoly profile image62
    cascolyposted 13 years ago

you can also make your own kahlua this way - we found freeze dried coffee works best - put several tablespoons in a q quart jar, add vanilla bean or extract and fill with vodka or similar

8. Jaymeyaroch profile image60
    Jaymeyarochposted 13 years ago

This sounds like a type of sangria.  Try googling a recipe.

1. profile image49
      Kaijuposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow u guys are so jobless

9. Just Ask Susan profile image88
    Just Ask Susanposted 13 years ago

No it is not sangria. I found the answer I needed through Hmrjmr1, Domco and Nakmeister, Thanks so much guys!

10. Foodstuff profile image91
    Foodstuffposted 13 years ago

This is probably brandied fruit. Put your fruits in large sterilised preserving jar. Dissolve sugar in brandy (abt 500g sugar to 600ml brandy), add a few whole spices if you like eg vanilla bean, or cinnamon stick. Pour it over the fruit and seal the jar tight. Leave it for at least 2 months before you use it.

Soft fruit like berries are probably a bit risky in terms of how well they will keep. But it's a good way to preserve apricots, cherries, cumquats. Try brandied cumquats - it's really wonderful. Hope this helps.

11. vicky4227 profile image55
    vicky4227posted 13 years ago

Thats what secret of recipe is all about and it has a long history attached to it. I think you should ask her or try buying the recipe from her.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)