Does anyone have allergies to alcohol, such as wine or mixed drinks? What can y

  1. sholland10 profile image94
    sholland10posted 6 years ago

    Does anyone have allergies to alcohol, such as wine or mixed drinks?  What can you do for them?

    Recently I noticed that I was having problems breathing when I had a glass of wine or a mixed drink.  My doctor said I had an allergic reaction to alcohol.  I already have seasonal allergies, so she put me on an inhaler to be used every day and said that should work for the occasional drink.  It doesn't...

  2. swb64 profile image58
    swb64posted 6 years ago


    Well having an allergy to alcohol would be some 'ok' excuse to stop...  First of all - I'm not a medic but plenty of experience over this last year on breathing and stuff etc.  breathing allergies usually mean a closing of the airways, inhalers usually try clear the lungs - forgive my un-technical terms but they dont cover the same problem but can be helpful in parellel trying to treat a breathing problem.

    I have recently been diagnosed with Sarcoidosis, most folks from all walks - inc the medics - usually say dont drink, dont do this too much, dont do that too much...  Do as you feel but make notes.

    Keep good within you.


  3. artist101 profile image71
    artist101posted 5 years ago

    You can become allergic to anything at any time in your life. There are a few variations on this answer.
    1. Wine, as well as mixed drinks, contain a substance known as sulfates, a very common allergen, causing asthma. If you notice the same reaction with other foods containing sulfates. Then that is whats causing the problem. I would think avoidance would be the best recommendation. Inhalers do not make it go away, it only lessens the response. A food diary is very helpful.
    2. It has been noted that many people with candidiasis have a reaction to wine, and alcohol. Simply because it is fermented, and basically a fungus. Your reaction may be fungus related. As well as asthma suffers also have a digestive, nutritional, or infection issue, as well as an over reactive immune system. The immune system sees the allergan as an offender, and reacts with histamine. In this scenario, I recommend QBC, and beta glucan. QBC, is an anti histamine, as well as aiding in digestion, and beta glucans calm the immune system.
    Nutritional supplements. vitamin B and magnesium.
    For Fungus, probiotics.
    3. An immunoligist is also an option. To verify your allergens, and to treat according to your needs. … or-allergy