jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

What exactly is a vegan?

1. Ken R. Abell profile image80
    Ken R. Abellposted 7 years ago

What exactly is a vegan?

2. Sharon Balloch profile image57
    Sharon Ballochposted 7 years ago

a vegan is someone who does not eat anything that comes from an animal. Or wear things that come from animals.. like leather..

I have no idea what I am doing.. am surprised you could even read that page as I did not think it was out where it could be read..

3. Sarah Masson profile image68
    Sarah Massonposted 7 years ago

They don't eat any meat or foods that come from an animal eg. dairy foods/eggs

4. purpleangel47 profile image60
    purpleangel47posted 7 years ago

A vegan consumes foods that are not meat-based, nor do they contain meat by-products. In keeping with that, vegans will rely strictly on consuming foods in their natural state rather than processed foods because even canned or frozen vegetarian foods sometimes contain animal fats or other meat products. Also most vegans are usually extremely animal conscious - extending their avoidance of exploiting animals from the dinner table to their wardrobe (no snakeskin belts) and their furniture ( no leather couches).

5. profile image0
    Erik S.posted 7 years ago

A vegan is a hardcore vegetarian.
    I'll use cheese for my example. A vegetarian would most likely be alright with eating cheese because it is not actual meat. (Unless they had some sort of problem with the rennet.) Anyway, a vegan wouldn't eat the cheese because it actually came from an animal period.

6. Harry Santos profile image57
    Harry Santosposted 7 years ago

A vegan is someone who is missing out on the wonderful tastes of meat.

7. profile image0
    Neville Walkposted 7 years ago

Contrary to what some people believe, they do not come from the planet Vega.  I used to be a vegan, or at least as much as I could be, but because I am made of meat, it could never be 100%.

8. SkinSurvival profile image58
    SkinSurvivalposted 7 years ago

You'd be surprised how many things are off the menu if you follow a strict vegan diet; even cheese flavour crisps can have rennet in and many sweets are made with gelatine. I don't think I could stick to such a diet.

9. profile image48
    oreo24posted 7 years ago

a person who doesnt eat meat or eat or drink anything that comes from an animal

10. lawrencebeach2010 profile image60
    lawrencebeach2010posted 7 years ago

vegans also differ from vegetarians because they do not consume products such as dairy or eggs. Also, all foods consumed or products used are cruelty free and are not tested on animals

11. loveingyou profile image56
    loveingyouposted 7 years ago

Someone who does not consume anything that is vaguely related to animals like honey, milk, etc.

12. mannyrolando profile image60
    mannyrolandoposted 7 years ago

A vegan is a dedicated, caring individual that deeply cares about the needs and welfare of animals. Vegans believe that animals feel joy and feel pain as we do and deserve to be respected and loved... and so have made a commitment to not include animals or animal products in their diets!

13. tpshah profile image57
    tpshahposted 7 years ago

If you are moderate in your consumption of animal meat, I'd consider you to be almost a vegan. I'd suggest the you be very moderate in your consumption of chicken and beef. Too much fat and animal protein in your diet leads to:

- Heart Disease
    - High Blood Pressure
    - Obesity
    - Some Cancers
    - Diabetes

I'm not a pure vegan, however, 95% of my food consumption is vegan because I feel the best when I eat low-fat vegetarian. If someone prepares a special meat dish at a dinner party, I will taste it.

Being a vegan does not equate to eating healthy. Many vegans have too much vegetable fat in their diet (a teaspoon is optimal). Some continue to eat refined carbs and sugars.

Egg white and low-fat milk have lots of protein, however, you will also see lots of contaminants and hormones in those products. The proteins in milk are harmful. Milk is not the best source of calcium. From a pure health perspective, the optimal diet eliminates all animal sources of food.

Brown rice and beans provide all the essential amino acids required for protein. Whole grains can be substituted for brown rice. Whole and fresh fruits and vegetables are very healthy.

I'm a low-fat, low-refined-carb vegan because I feel alert and alive on that diet. If you avoid smoking and alcohol and if you get enough aerobic exercise and sleep, I guarantee you will feel awesome.