jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

What is the difference between being a vegetarian and being a vegan?

1. Cofee Mommy profile image72
    Cofee Mommyposted 3 years ago

What is the difference between being a vegetarian and being a vegan?

I was just wondering. I am planning on becoming a vegetarian, because I am not a fan of meat or seafood, or anything dairy. I just want to know what would be the best option for me, thank you in advance.

2. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

Vegetarians eat no meat, vegans eat no animal products whatsoever.  It depends on whether you want to eat animal products at all. Vegans don't eat eggs and dairy for example.  Both diets have benefits, both also have some challenges, particularly with veganism you'll want to supplement with vitamin B12 as it is an essential nutrient found almost solely in animal products.  Otherwise, being a vegan when done right can be very rewarding smile

1. Cofee Mommy profile image72
      Cofee Mommyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think I will start with being a vegetarian, and then move to being a Vegan! It sounds very rewarding! Thank you for your answer!

3. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

Hi. I'm a vegan. In addition to all the things ChristinS posted, vegans don't use animal products of any kind, in any aspect of their life. That means no leather or wool clothing, no products produced using animal testing, and no items that are manufactured using animal products. So, for example, I don't eat white sugar, because most of it is processed using bone char, from animal bones.

Veganism is more about living a cruelty-free life than simply focusing on what you put into your mouth.

1. Writer Fox profile image58
      Writer Foxposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Shearing sheep and goats for their wool is not cruelty.  The animals are grateful to be rid of their winter coats when summer comes.  Where did you ever get the ideal that it was cruel?  Have you ever watched animals being sheared?

2. Cofee Mommy profile image72
      Cofee Mommyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your answer!!! I will begin by switching to vegetarian, and then go into Vegan. I have to do a lot of research to make sure the products I use will be vegan friendly.

3. CrescentSkies profile image86
      CrescentSkiesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Aren't all vaccines produced using animal testing? Meaning to receive required vaccinations you would've had to receive them at some point.

4. lisavollrath profile image96
      lisavollrathposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Writer Fox, vegans believe animals are not ours to eat, wear, or experiment upon. Wool is an animal product, the same way milk and cheese are animal products.

4. CrescentSkies profile image86
    CrescentSkiesposted 3 years ago

Vegans are radical vegetarians. They don't eat any product that have had animals involved somewhere in the process of its creation.

1. lisavollrath profile image96
      lisavollrathposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I don't consider myself a radical anything, and veganism has more to do with ethics than eating. Vegans believe that animals should not be eaten, worn, or experimented upon. It's a very simple, gentle idea.

working