Vegetarian/Vegan?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (40 posts)
  1. iiimusicfreak27 profile image60
    iiimusicfreak27posted 12 years ago

Come and introduce yourself! Let's get to know more vegetarians and vegans! Let's share our experiences, our knowledge, and our foods!
    And if you're not currently a vegetarian or vegan but are thinking about it, you are still more than welcome to join in!

*I have personally been a vegetarian for about 4 years now and a vegan for 7 months and I have enjoyed every minute of it! I would never go back! I chose this lifestyle because I love and appreciate life too much to eat. I wouldn't eat a human being, why would I eat an animal? I absolutely love animals, they're the best companions

1. Rachel1Curry profile image61
      Rachel1Curryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello! Awesome! I have been a vegetarian for 10 years! Changed my life! Looking forward to future conversations! Blessings!

iiimusicfreak27posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's great!! I sure hope to get to say the same 6 years from now;D

2. profile image0
      ecoethicalveganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi! I've been vegan for around 3 &1/2 years.I luv that anyone makes any effort to reduce their reliance upon animal products, it's all good!

Thanx for the subject matter

_/ smile \_

smile

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

I am not a vegetarian or vegan.

I just hate the taste of meat. I don't eat it at home and if I'm forced to eat it when out, will only do so if it's covered in enough condiments to cover the tasteless and rubber like flavor.

I have a friend that's like that! I find it very interesting ... is there any kind of meat you do like?

Thank you for sharing!

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nope. They all taste like rubber - although fish tastes like saltier and softer rubber. To me, steak and chicken taste the same!

Wow, really? I know when I did eat meat, I won't lie, it was good, lol, but I find it gross now. And I never really liked fish or any kind of seafood so I've always been clear there... but like rubber, hmm, I don't know if the taste came close to that, haha:)

Have you tried any kind of meat substitute? They sell them at most grocery stores and they're not always made up of tofu... Just a thought:)

1. WryLilt profile image87
            WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah, I eat sanitarium nut based products. And you can actually find some nice flavored tofu.

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I've had my mostly vegetarian phases over the years.  I say "mostly" because I'll usually eat eggs and cheese during those phase.  When I'm in a non-vegetarian phase I'll add tuna salad because it makes me feel better.  I'm now recently back into the egg/cheese phase (ovo-lacto vegetarian, which doesn't count in the eyes of some vegetarians).  My daughter tried vegan for a year or so, so I'm pretty familiar with vegan foods.  Last year I had a vegan engagement party for her and her fiance.  That was a little bit of a challenge.  The upcoming wedding will be vegetarian.

My reasons haven't ever been health.  (I care about healthy eating, but that's never been the reason for being vegetarian, or "bordering" on it with the tuna salad thing).  It's always been the "other issue" - well, that, and the fact that meat is really creepy to eat.  I stay away from a lot of vegetarian discussions, though, because they so often lead somewhere that I find disturbing.

1. Marlena Oechsner profile image61
      Marlena Oechsnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, I really identified with your post. I am a vegetarian but eat eggs, cheese, milk, honey. I don't eat meat because I don't like the thought of killing an animal. But I do eat fish. That usually sends many a blogger into a frenzy about me actually being a vegetarian. I do eat some vegan foods (Boca and Morningstar save me from boring lunches). But I could never give up milk or yogurt or ice cream! Besides, milking a cow doesn't kill it. I've grown up on a dairy farm, so I guess my lifestyle is based on experiences growing up and every person has their own reasoning. Who is to say what really defines a vegetarian?

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm always reluctant to join in vegetarian discussions (in fact, I usually don't) because I slip into that thing where I add tuna salad for awhile until I get creeped out by it (again).   What I've found, though, is that there are times when, if I'm in a particularly "frazzled" state of mind (or else feeling kind of exhausted a lot of the time), tuna salad makes me feel better - so I "slip up" in order to feel better.   I do eat honey (but don't use leather products other than that a couple of pairs of shoes I have do have some leather on them).  (Separate issue for people who aren't vegans, but again, I cross the border in a couple of isolated ways.)

Morningstar and Boca - I have a freezer full of them.  I like them best browned in a pan with a little oil or a little margarine.  I don't do that all the time, but if I'm serving a guest a meal with those I'll do it because it makes them that much better (I think).  smile

Lisa, I recently found Boca's! smile They are the next best thing. Although I wasn't a huge burer eater in the past, I found them to be a good replacement for some texture...from eating salads, veggies and juices everyday. I am so grateful to have this forum smile

2. JayeWisdom profile image89
        JayeWisdomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are many types of vegetarians (though only one type of vegan). I've been a strict vegetarian, then a complete vegan, now am back to a type of vegetarianism known as "ovo-pescetarianism" because I eat organic eggs from free-range grass-fed hens, as well as some fish because my doctor says at my age and with my health issues I need to eat certain fish instead of taking fish oil supplements.

I can't bring myself to eat meat, but stopped trying to convert all of my extended family and friends to vegetarianism quite a while ago. Some of them do eat very small amounts of meat or eat it infrequently. Perhaps that's my influence...who knows?

While they will eat a lot of veg dishes when they visit (I'm a pretty inventive cook), I now try to keep some grassfed, free-range chicken strips and grassfed, free-range bison in the freezer for them. Because I know this meat comes from a natural, non-cruel environment and not a factory farm, I can handle feeding it to my guests. I just can't eat it myself, and I don't like preparing it. When you haven't eaten meat in a long time, you tend to develop a distaste for even seeing raw or cooked meat. It makes me feel quite ill if I drive near enough to a McDonald's to smell hamburger cooking.

So, don't worry, Marlena, you are a lacto-ovo-pescetararian if anyone asks you again!

2. iiimusicfreak27 profile image60

Nothing wrong with being an ovo-lacto vegetarian:)
      That's awesome that you're familiar with it, but what I find even cooler is that you made a vegan engagement party and are doing a vegetarian wedding! That shows true support to your daughter's choice of lifestyle! I don't think my family would survive without their meat at my parties, haha. The food can be expensive but it's so good:D

Thank you very much for sharing!!smile

A lot of people were skeptical to know the party would be vegan, but the food was good.  (It wasn't all that easy to find a baker who'd do a vegan cake, but the one I got did a beautiful job - no bargain, though.)   I'm sure there were people who would have rather had a non-vegan menu, but it wasn't like they got "weird vegan food" (the way a lot of people thought they would).

That's awesome:) I'm sure the food was great, something different:)

4. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 12 years ago

Great to see this topic come up; thanks for the thread!  I've been vegetarian for almost half my life (15 years out of 34) and tried the vegan thing for 5 years until I fell off the wagon with CHEESE.  There was just nothing like cheese in the vegan world, I'm afraid.  But I often opt for vegan meals, anyway, and love veggies!

I wonder if vegetarians and vegans tend to buy organic more than meat eaters?

My kids were pretty much raised on the octo-lacto type diet.  I'd make occasional, limited, exceptions because I didn't want to completely eliminate some things from their diet.  They very much turned into adults who don't eat meat (two of them, more than one of them, though).

I think the main difference between my daughter's previous vegan diet and her "plain old" vegetarian diet now is cheese.  I don't know..   She's got having babies ahead of her.  I'm not sure such a strict diet (as vegan) would be great.  A lot of vegan foods are just "vegan by accident", so that works out well.

Oddly, I tend to stay away from organic stuff because I don't really like the idea of some chemicals not being used.  I'm already paranoid enough about fresh produce.  I worried more about chemicals and additives when my kids were little.  Now it's just me, and I'm not all that comfortable with some organic products.  hmm

2. iiimusicfreak27 profile image60

Wow! 15 years? I sure hope to last that long and longer!!big_smile
      Did you get sick after eating cheese after so long?

3. Rachel1Curry profile image61

Oh My! Cheese was the hardest to give up! smile Over the years, I found dairy to tire me out; sluggish, feeling bloated. After stop eating it, as GOOD AS IT TASTE.. I feel better not eating any dairy. I have it every blue moon, but health is more important. I am looking for a good alternative. I tried soy based products in the upscale grocery stores, but so far nothing really good. Anyone know of a good cheese subsititute? smile

5. profile image55
    SanXuaryposted 12 years ago

I am Vegan but chose to be for better health after watching forks over knives. The evidence was to convincing and if its true it really is a crime that more people are not being told and it is not being promoted. When you show proof that cancer can be stopped and coronary heart disease can be reversed that is really powerful stuff. The studies include the largest human study on health ever conducted. I have never purchased prepared vegan food and I make all of my foods from whole foods. It is actually very difficult to do when around 80 percent of all of are products contain some animal by product. Its no wonder that we our overdosing on animal by products. Still my food bill is the lowest it has ever been by default. I spent only 35 dollars one month. I use to drink two pots of coffee a day and now one cup is to much. I also feel like I have the energy of an 18 year old.

6. profile image51
    AlanSaldanaposted 12 years ago

Girl, let me tell you. I would not worry to much about the clothes and what they are made of. It is hard enough worrying about all the food with animal stuff in it.
    http://www.zimbio.com/Bodybuilding/arti … eless+male

7. Dani Katarina profile image61
    Dani Katarinaposted 12 years ago

So happy you posted this!!! i went vegetarian 10 months ago, and this month i decided to transition to veganism. I am definitely always on the look out for new vegan buddies (online or off) love to share and love to learn from others!! My name is Dani and I have a blog: www.the-healthy-hippie.com...i love cooking and am always posting new recipes and writing reviews on new vegan products i discover!

nice to meet you and everyone else, feel free to add me as a friend! always looking for new vegan interactions.

Awesome! I will gladly add you! big_smile

8. profile image57
    adamwebb1991posted 12 years ago

In Western medicine, patients are sometimes advised to adhere to a vegetarian diet.

I have definitely heard that:)

9. profile image55

More and more doctors are converting to nutrition as the best medicine. Here is something beyond absurd. The claim is that the more milk you drink the less of a chance that you will suffer from osteoporosis. Yet America consumes more dairy then any country on Earth and suffers the most from it. We have more broken hips then any country in the World as well as hip replacements. The statistic are staggering in opposition to our current nutritional belief system.

Well aren't we the only living things that still drink milk after needing it as babies? Cows are forced to produce it for our pleasure when we honestly don't need it at this age... No wonder we're messed up, haha. Something I had heard that I found pretty interesting!

Very interesting! Milk along with other diary products make me slugglish. I have found, for me, health wise, it is not good. SanXuary true statement!

Isn't it? Haha, I've only been vegan for about 7 months but I find I feel a ton better than I did before!
          Have you tried milk and dairy substitutes? It's a matter of getting used to the change -- I have Original Silk Soy milk with everything! And for ice cream, my local grocery store has a few tofu and soy ice cream bars that are absolutely delish! Not trying to say go vegan, but if you can't have milk/dairy, that doesn't mean you can't have the wonderful taste at all!smile

I have tried Soy a few times, wasn't impressed. However, it could have been the brand or etc. I will try the Silk Soy. I do miss a good cold glass of milk. smile Soy ice cream bars? Wow! That sounds heavenly. Now, that will make my weekend if I can taste one of those!! Thanks so much! I had just given up and sacrificed! Feel good, but if I can have a substitute, that would be a plus!

Haha, do try it! And like you said, it may be the brand so I would try a couple. I personally haven't tried the tofu ice cream but the soy is really good! Tastes just like chocolate and vanilla!! Your local grocery store just might have some!
              Good luck!big_smile

Thanks smile

10. iiimusicfreak27 profile image60
    iiimusicfreak27posted 12 years ago

No problem:)

11. modgirlok profile image61
    modgirlokposted 12 years ago

I'm vegan, and have been for two years, other than a few minor slip-ups with dairy containing breads or desserts my first Thanksgiving as a vegan. It's nice to see so many other ethical eaters here.

I just spent my first vegan Thanksgiving as well -- went pretty great!big_smile
      Slip-ups: Yeah, I've had my share of those. People who tell me they swear it's vegan and after a bite I see there are pieces of cheese:/
      As long as in our hearts we know we're vegans, we're good is the way I look at it:)
      Agreed with seeing so many other vegetarians/vegans -- good support!

Thank you for sharing:)

12. profile image55

Its all right to slip up this is not a religion. My goal is to reduce the consumption of animal based products in my diet to improve my health. Some products are incredibly hard to find or simply to expensive to replace. Still when I do the math and reduce the number of times I actually eat it. I am winning by huge numbers in comparison to those who pay no attention to it at all. A number of products state that they use the same processing equipment. This makes the odds and quantity incredibly remote of consuming animal based products but yes its a chance a remote one. I knew another person who would eat eggs only if they were un-fertilized. The odds of having a factory hen that even sees a rooster in its life time is incredibly remote. I personally do not touch eggs at all. For me bread is the hardest item in my area to find that does not contain milk. I would love to open my own store with properly labelled products and products that meet vegan guidelines. I would love to shop in a place that does not cost a arm and a leg and allows a healthy choice with out trading off for high corn fructose or some other non food group. I would have my own bakery and cannery supporting local organic farmers and make a chain of healthy food stores. I would post the truth to good health on every aisle. My question to a World of obesity and countless health problems is how bad do you really want to live?

And I would visit your store, haha. Yeah, the stuff is expensive and hard to find in normal stores. Good thing I have an organic/vegetarian/vegan grocery store nearby that does have everything labeled. Only problem is, the stuff costs "an arm and a leg" haha. But it's worth it:)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)