What is the most economical way to filter drinking water for home use?

1. doodlebugs profile image83
    doodlebugsposted 6 years ago

What is the most economical way to filter drinking water for home use?

What are the best options for removing chemicals from your drinking water without spending a fortune?

2. Crifmer profile image78
    Crifmerposted 6 years ago

We use a Britta filter.  I don't know how good it actually is, but I haven't noticed any impurities in the water, and it certainly tastes cleaner than regular tap water.

The filters don't cost a lot, and they last about three months or so, depending on how much use they get.

I like our Britta, so you can give that a try.  I used to use the kind you screw onto the faucet, but we got a new sink which wasn't compatible and switched to a pitcher.  There are other brands out there, but I can't say which is better.

3. Blond Logic profile image96
    Blond Logicposted 6 years ago

Here on my farm in Brazil, we drink well water. I have a tap for normal water and also one behind that holds a filter cartridge. I use this when we are going to drink it but not for cooking. For coffee and tea I use just the normal water.

The filters I use are cheap. Here they are about R$6.50. That is about $3.00 and they last for a couple of months. They are a combination of charcoal and I believe a fine  pumice. I actually wrapped a fabric mesh around it to extend the life of it. Periodically I take the filter and mesh out, give it a scrub with a soapy bleach solution and reinsert it.

For us this works well and is quite economical.