jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Which is the more economical way to make coffee, with a paper coffee filter or w

1. B. Leekley profile image90
    B. Leekleyposted 18 months ago

Which is the more economical way to make coffee, with a paper coffee filter or with a French press?

For years my wife and I have had a plastic thing made to sit on a six ounce or eight ounce coffee cup and to hold a #2 coffee filter. Paper coffee filters are cheap and readily available at supermarkets. Putting a tablespoon of coffee in a filter and running nearly boiling water through makes a good cup of coffee. Now I have a French press, so I don't need to buy paper filters, but cleaning it after each use is messy and uses up a few minutes of time. Which is worse, the small cost of filters or the small inconvenience of cleaning up? Was the French press a waste of money?

2. J R Pond profile image73
    J R Pondposted 18 months ago

I have tried just about every method imaginable in making home-brewed coffee: steel pot, drip machine, french press, Keurig, and instant. Now, I live in a semi-rural town in Southern California, so bugs can become a problem in the summer time. I have noticed over the years that coffee machine are never really "clean" on the inside and become a home for different species of six-legged bastards; namely roaches. Yes, even the Keurig.
    About two years, my family and I were sauntering around Ikea, like we do twice a year, and I saw a french press. I had never used one before, so I read the directions on the tag and was intrigued. Here I am two years later and it still works perfectly and I am still doing my best to talk my wife out of buying a Nespresso; no coffee machines, please.
    When it comes to cleaning a french press, or mine anyway, I have noticed that you need not give a thorough cleaning every time, just turn on the faucet and lightly tap the press portion against the sink a few times until you no longer see grounds. I disassemble the press to give it a good scrub about once every two weeks. So, for me, it's french every time. On a side note, you can actually order a pot of french press at Starbucks; much better than their normal burnt garbage.

1. B. Leekley profile image90
      B. Leekleyposted 18 months agoin reply to this

Thanks, John, for sharing your coffee-making experiences.

3. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 18 months ago

I agree with John Pond. My husband makes the best coffee in the world in our French Press. Coffee makers do tend to collect bugs and they are difficult to keep clean. We got an infestation of roaches from a box containing paint brushes and other supplies we brought home from a piece of rental property, and every time we think we've exterminated the boogers, they reappear. We stopped using coffee makers because they were a breeding ground.
    While he was in the hospital, I bought a Keurig. Imagine my surprise one day when a roach poured out into my coffee cup. We went back to the French press. I think it may use a little less coffee than a coffee maker with a filter, and the brewing time can be adjusted to suit your taste without having to buy a computerized coffee maker. I even have a little single cup press that I love. I voted for the press.

1. J R Pond profile image73
      J R Pondposted 18 months agoin reply to this

We had the same roach problem which started with dirty neighbors moving in next door. If you're still having these problems, I suggest going to a $1 store and picking up Boric Acid. It's non toxic to humans and pets, and works wonders.

4. teaches12345 profile image96
    teaches12345posted 18 months ago

I read the Keurig and similar coffee machines use quite a of electricity for just one cup. I guess one would have to weigh the cost of filters versus cost to purchase supplies as comparison.  I wonder if the taste is different from the paper coffee filter types?  I grind my own coffee and so have a Keurig-type machine.  I love the flavor and really don't mind if it costs more to make each morning.

working