jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Have you ever really tried a tofu dish prepared by a real chef in an upscale res

1. Hyphenbird profile image92
    Hyphenbirdposted 6 years ago

Have you ever really tried a tofu dish prepared by a real chef in an upscale restaurant?

If so, did you like it? Did it change your opinion of this food?

2. Beth100 profile image75
    Beth100posted 6 years ago

I've always enjoyed eating tofu whether prepared in my own kitchen or in a restaurant.  I have found that it doesn't matter whether the restaurant is upscale or not -- the taste, texture and palitability of the food is strictly based on the skill of the chef.  I have tasted some of the best dishes (with and without tofu) in restaurants that are "holes in the wall" that put the "known and famous" kitchens to shame. 

To qualify your question with my humble opinions::  a "real chef" is a person who is an artist who uses food as the canvas and paints with the aromatic flavors and texturizes with the textures of the ingredients.  Anyone can be a "real chef" if they are gifted with the ability to be creative in this sense.

An "upscale restaurant":  an "upscale restaurant" is one that brands itself as being "unique" and caters to the rich, famous and wanna be's.  This does not always reflect what is served.  I have dined in "upscale restaurants" only to send the food back because it was improperly cooked, the taste was off or it was just not palitable.

Personally, the success of the dish relies on the skill of the chef and on your own tastes/dislikes and your own ability to keep an open mind when dining  and trying out a new dish.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image96
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

No, I haven't had anything like that.  I'm not into vegan foods, or veggie anti meat propaganda - but I would certainly give an upscale tofu dish, or anyone's tofu dish a try.  I don't discriminate at all when it comes to food, and I like to try new foods.

4. Cardisa profile image91
    Cardisaposted 6 years ago

Yes, as a chef I've had the pleasure of preparing tofu in different ways.

Authentic sweet and sour

Black bean sauce

Soft tofu dip (similar to hummus)

I have other great ideas can't list them all

5. CeresTine profile image56
    CeresTineposted 6 years ago

It wasn't in an upscale restaurant but I tried Vegetarian Green Curry on top of Thai noodles. It was sooo good. And hot that I forgot my name for a moment!

6. rob_allen profile image85
    rob_allenposted 6 years ago

Nope, but i heard, there are restaurants that caters vegan food that serve tofu in a gourmet way. If in case i tried i'll let you know. But according to my friends who are vegan, gourmet tofu is great. It's like your eating meat smile