jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Should some restaurants ban children?

1. talfonso profile image83
    talfonsoposted 6 years ago

Should some restaurants ban children?

A lot of us are fed up by screaming kids, ruining our dinners. Recently, a restaurant in the Pittsburgh area stopped serving kids under six, much to the dismay of some parents. That raises the question: should some restaurants follow suit and impose age restrictions? I believe they should, especially if it's a really fancy restaurant. Your thoughts on this?

2. maddot profile image80
    maddotposted 6 years ago

It's not so much about age as about behaviour. Smoking is banned in restaurants in Australia, you can't drink yourself under the table anymore, carrying a gun in a restaurant is also taboo here, foul language is out, being obnoxious, loud mouthed, rude, crass, etc..so forget  ageism and focus on bad behaviour..then we can all enjoy our meal!

3. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 6 years ago

I don't think they should necessarily ban children outright, because there are some well-behaved kids that need to learn how to interact with other types of society than they do at their local kindergarten. That said, I think most restaurants should impose a strict policy that states that anyone -- child or adult -- who is acting in a way that disturbs other patrons will be excused from the premises.

4. queen cleopatra profile image90
    queen cleopatraposted 6 years ago

Dining out with my whole family was one of the many wonderful experiences I had as a kid. I and my brother and sister learned good table manners (if not impeccable *grin*) during these outings. I suggest, restaurants should specify rooms or areas where kids are allowed to eat with their parents. And if not much inconvenience, providing kiddie-sized tables and chairs right beside their parents' dining table could be fun, too! smile

5. vox vocis profile image85
    vox vocisposted 6 years ago

I don't think it's fair or nice to ban children from eating in restaurants, but I also believe parents should teach their children table manners at home and in restaurants. I would never go to a restaurant which banned children even if I wanted to go out and eat without bringing them along.

6. tamarindcandy profile image60
    tamarindcandyposted 6 years ago

Yes. Children are noisy, messy little monsters. Muzzle them or leave them at home, parents.

7. Cameron D. Briggs profile image58
    Cameron D. Briggsposted 6 years ago

I certainly don't feel that once already established an establishment aught to place a ban as though this were the 1950's all over again.  I do however believe that If a restaurant wants that ist primary consumer base to be that of "Adults" then that is something that needs to be seriously considered when writing such a business plan.

8. Monisajda profile image74
    Monisajdaposted 6 years ago

Not all children are messy, loud monsters as someone here suggested. There are many bad behaved kids out there but not all. I wonder if poster who thinks so is aware of the fact that he or she was a child, too...

As for the rules, I wouldn't personally mind if there was a ban for younger kids in certain restaurants. I feel more comfortable to take my children to places without white tablecloths and fancy decor. I know in a couple of years they will be ready to eat out there, too.

9. nikki_m profile image84
    nikki_mposted 6 years ago

I think that it should be up to the restaurant if they want to ban children or not. It's the owner's establishment, and it should be their choice. They may lose or gain business based on this, but that is their choice.

I think the major problem that caused this to become an issue in the first place is that a lot of parents will not teach their children how to behave anymore, especially in a public place. I cannot tell you how many times I have sat trying to eat my dinner and hold a conversation with a screaming child at the next table, and the parents are just ignoring him. It's beyond annoying. Of course, there are children that are well-behaved, but some places just aren't a good environment for them to be in anyway (upscale restaurants, bars, etc).

10. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

yes.
    while I agree with your viewpoint, there's also the issue of parents who expect too much.
    I mean kids need manners, etc., but if adults want to spend a long time in a restaurant, expecting very young children to simply sit silently is unreasonable. 

In restaurants and anywhere else, I get more aggravated at parents trying to force little-bitty kids to stop talking, stop moving, etc., than at the children themselves.

working