jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Who else gets hungry at night? Right before bedtime...

1. Neerizzle profile image80
    Neerizzleposted 6 years ago

Who else gets hungry at night? Right before bedtime...

Whenever it's time to go to bed I find myself craving food. Not necessarily a certain type of food (though that is sometimes the case) but just food. I more often than not give into this craving, and then go to bed bloated. Is this unhealthy? How do I change this? lol

2. nlwaters01 profile image60
    nlwaters01posted 6 years ago

It is indeed unhealthy but to be honest with you i don't really care now. I'm going through a rough time right now and my relationship ended, i'm NOT overweight, and actually pretty healthy, so i am going to keep eating all these chips and stuff as long as it keeps me going and my mind distracted. HOWEVER, if i were anyone else i would say stick to more healthy foods like celery and carrots and maybe some ranch dressing or a salad.

3. Loveslove profile image59
    Lovesloveposted 6 years ago

I am on a diet and I have learnt that if you are hungry drink water..that fills you up and stems the pangs,and means you were thirsty not hungry however if after you have drank the water you are still hungry then have a biscuit it works ....so take a glass of water to bed.

4. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

actually there are some foods like warm milk that will actually help you fal asleeep faster. But  I wouldn't recommend eating a full meal or any  junk food before  going to bed.

5. .josh. profile image62
    .josh.posted 6 years ago

Most recent studies suggest that it makes little difference eating shortly before bed, assuming you haven't already gone over daily calorie goals earlier in the day (i.e., what's important is the amount of calories you've consumed throughout the entire day). The real issue is what you're eating before bed, as certain foods can have a negative effect on your sleep, and many tend to binge on unhealthy foods shortly before bed. Along with drinking water, which can help satiate and reduce cravings, I personally like to eat something like yogurt with berries. The yogurt -- along with other dairy products -- contains casein, a protein that will slowly be delivered to your body for hours, and thus leave you feeling full and satisfied. (Warm milk, while comforting for some, has been shown not to boost sleep-enducing serotonin levels as was once believed, so it is really no more effective.)

I should note that while it might not have an effect on you physically, I personally choose not to eat much during the last few hours of the day, simply because I don't like going to bed feeling bloated or full. I find I sleep better when I'm not full, and getting a sufficient amount of sleep is absolutely crucial for your health and fitness. One thing that works for me is eating a big breakfast, and when/if I get hungry the nite before, just reminding myself of the delicious feast that awaits me the next morning. (Like I said, I do have yogurt and berries sometimes, but nothing more than that.)

If you do tend to eat unhealthy foods late at night, or you find that these late-night meals are hindering your sleep, I suggest just powering through and trying to cut it out for a few weeks. It's really all just a matter of setting out habits, and once you get used to eating more earlier in the day -- and of course making sure you're getting adequate nutrients, fiber, etc. -- your late-nite cravings will likely vanish.

working