jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How do you dispose of surplus homegrown vegetables?

1. Imogen French profile image86
    Imogen Frenchposted 6 years ago

How do you dispose of surplus homegrown vegetables?

I have made soups, sauces, preserved and frozen veg until the freezer is bursting, and still have a glut of vegetables in my garden - mainly green beans, tomatoes and cucumbers at the moment. I hate them to get wasted, does anyone have any novel ideas on how to use them up?

2. LearnFromMe profile image91
    LearnFromMeposted 6 years ago

Pass them on to family or neighbors! How about a soup kitchen (where they feed the homeless)?

3. punacoast profile image97
    punacoastposted 6 years ago

I agree with LearnFromMe, donate your surplus vegetables to a local soup kitchen is a very good thing.  I used to work at a soup kitchen and remember fresh veggies were always much appreciated!  You can also swap with your neighbors for other veggies you don't have or set up a little roadside veg/fruit stand in your front yard and sell them!  Bring them to your office and leave them in the lunch room with a note like "Free homegrown tomatoes", I guarantee your coworkers will love you and do anything for you! : )

4. PixChic profile image55
    PixChicposted 6 years ago

I agree! Share them before you get burned out and just let everything rot.. Invite people you know and trust to come pick veggies from your garden to save yourself a little work too wink Not everyone will repay the gesture, but you may be surprised what "fruits of their labor" others will share with you!

5. Danette Watt profile image84
    Danette Wattposted 6 years ago

Ditto, give it to a crisis food center, salvation army, soup kitchen, women's shelter...there are lots of organizations who would love to be able to serve up some fresh veggies to their clients

6. Imogen French profile image86
    Imogen Frenchposted 6 years ago

Thanks for all your suggestions. I agree it is always good to share with people less fortunate, and my surplus will be distributed amongst elderly relatives and neighbours who can't grow their own.

Unfortunately there is no soup kitchen or anything similar in my area, as it is quite rural here, but that is a great idea.

7. Honest Reality profile image61
    Honest Realityposted 6 years ago

That's awesome!
    And whatever goes bad before it can be given away or canned, I put into a compost bin.

8. profile image0
    A.CreativeThinkerposted 6 years ago

You could make a casserole with the green beans and tomatoes, by adding some
    onions and potatoes to that and baking them in the oven.  Cucumbers make great additions to pasta salads and cucumber and tomato sandwiches as well.
    Hope this helps.  smile