jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What foods make a person sleepy?

1. tswilson profile image59
    tswilsonposted 6 years ago

What foods make a person sleepy?

Turkey is often believed to because of its tryptophan content.  Is that factual?  What are some others?

2. litsabd profile image74
    litsabdposted 6 years ago

Those with too much fat especially when you have too many hours with an empty stomach and then eat a big amount of food.. Sugar gives energy only for a while.

3. profile image0
    MP50posted 6 years ago

Eggs, a lite omelette around 6-7 pm.

Only use 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites', add some chopped celery or onion for

taste, fry in a quality oil.

Buy some Amino Acids from  your local health store contianing asparaganine and

glutamine, take them with the omelette.

This will give you all the necessary Amino Acids' needed to attain a good nights

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on!

Sleep tight.

Kind Regards

4. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

Turkey, meat, and dead stuff.  We're meant to eat vegetables, fruits, and if you eat dead stuff, it should be minimal!  Living food for living people!  smile

5. tswilson profile image59
    tswilsonposted 6 years ago

Thank you everyone for some really great answers.  litsabd and Faceless39, you make some good points about what foods not to eat if you don't want a negative, drowsy feeling.  MP50, that sounds like a great way to get a good night of sleep.  I will have to try it out.  I have heard great things amino acids.

6. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 6 years ago

Here's a very interesting article I recently read on why turkey makes us sleepy.http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question519.htm

I find if I eat fast food such as McDonald's I want to take a nap about 30 minutes after eating it. I try to avoid eating McDonalds food but sometimes I need a Big Mac fix smile

7. sturner1 profile image65
    sturner1posted 6 years ago

Barbecue!!! Everytime I eat it for lunch at work, stick a fork in me because I'm done. LoL smile

8. profile image0
    Zooey LeRoseposted 6 years ago

Every time I eat something greasing or anything with fat I fall asleep in a second or become all drowsy and lazy... Cheeseburger, fries, and soda will make me happy this way...

9. xethonxq profile image63
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

Turkey, carbohydrates, and sugar. Gluten free is the way to go. I have a dramatic increase in my energy levels and it seems to be endless. It's great and I totally recommend it. (And yes...it was hard to give up the carbs and the sweets, but once you do....WOW!). smile