jump to last post 1-23 of 23 discussions (23 posts)

Would you eat rabbit? Or have you eaten rabbit?

1. homesteadpatch profile image81
    homesteadpatchposted 6 years ago

Would you eat rabbit?  Or have you eaten rabbit?

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image99
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 6 years ago

I love eating rabbit. It is absolutely delicious but it is important to cook it long and slow due to the lack of fat on it if it is not going to be served tough. I remember as a child my Gran used to make a fabulous rabbit stew and her secret was to put a little bit of mutton in with the rabbit. Mutton is the opposite of rabbit, being incredibly fatty, and it really helped to tenderise the rabbit as well as give it a lot of extra flavour.

3. VeronicaFarkas profile image85
    VeronicaFarkasposted 6 years ago

Haven't, no. I don't think that I would, either.

Thought-provoking question, though!

4. profile image0
    Rosemary Banksposted 6 years ago

I did when I was a kid once but no more, oh no way.

5. CWanamaker profile image97
    CWanamakerposted 6 years ago

I have had rabbit before. It really did taste just like chicken, except it was tougher to chew.

6. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

I have, but not for a long while just because you don't find it in the stores. 
    I guess if you were looking for an easy to raise and sustainable source of meat that didn't take a lot of acreage, it would be a good choice.

7. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

Yes, and yes. Rabbit's good eats. Gordon Hamilton's grandmother's tip about putting a little fatty meat in the pot with it is a good one. A piece of salt pork, or some bacon, or the trimming off a chuck roast, or whatever you have works.

8. Russell-D profile image84
    Russell-Dposted 6 years ago

On my  Hub Main Pages, I have a story Hasenpfeffer In the Land Of Mozart. Strong Yes Vote. At least the way that Austrian Cook made it.   David Russell

9. ColibriPhoto profile image82
    ColibriPhotoposted 6 years ago

Yes, I have eaten it and I would eat it again. I have also eaten guinea pig. It is a delicacy here. But I would not eat it again unless I had to. They are both rodents but the guinea pig looks too much like a rat.

10. RVDaniels profile image76
    RVDanielsposted 6 years ago

Yes and I tell ya, fried rabbit is so good! I'd really love to get that recipe for rabbit stew with mutton. It sounds really tasty.

11. Claudia Tello profile image76
    Claudia Telloposted 6 years ago

Yes I have eaten rabbit, twice. I imagined it to be delicious and special but I must say it was a big disappointment. In my opinion, it wasn't much different than chicken, both in flavor and texture.

12. mediawizard profile image67
    mediawizardposted 6 years ago

Sounds extremely yummy. I defiantly would, but I have not eaten rabbit yet.

13. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

I have eaten rabbit, but I was not crazy about it. It wasn't bad though.

14. mljdgulley354 profile image59
    mljdgulley354posted 6 years ago

Rabbit was my grandmother's special for Sunday dinner. She raised rabbits to eat as well as to sell. She would brown the pieces and then simmer them for about 2 hours with water. I remember it being good eating.

15. steveamy profile image61
    steveamyposted 6 years ago

delicious -- braised with herbs (thyme), crushed tomato and black olives....

16. BlissfulWriter profile image68
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

There are many countries where people eat many different animals that are different from what is typically found in the United States.   In those countries it is not considered unusual to eat rabbit, because there rabbit are raised and sold as food in supermarkets.

Trinidad, Cameroon and Kenya are some examples.   Other countries in South America and China also eat rabbit.

17. freecampingaussie profile image64
    freecampingaussieposted 6 years ago

Yes , when were were young in New Zealand Dad used to go rabbit hunting as well as catch eels etc !

Have eaten frogs legs , kangaroo etc...

18. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 6 years ago

I ate rabbit when I lived in Italy...but I did not know it was rabbit. It was in the meat section of the grocery, rolled up with onion and celery, then skewered for grilling or roasting. I thought that it was chicken...

Then a co worker asked me how I liked the rabbit. It was all over at that point and I never ate it again...

19. geetbhim profile image59
    geetbhimposted 6 years ago

rabbit it's yummy!! I have eaten it twice and like the taste but not on a regular base.

20. athena2011 profile image57
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

Definitely not as I have a rabbit for a pet. He is so adorable and is best friends with my dog. They play fight together, it's amazing to watch. Also had many rabbits as a child so view them as pets and most definitely NOT food.

To each his own as they say.

21. MarieAlice profile image77
    MarieAliceposted 6 years ago

here in Spain I ate rabbit for the first time... it tastes good but i dont know how to cook it, is my mother in law the one who cooks it and she does it reaally good!!!

22. Ramsa1 profile image61
    Ramsa1posted 6 years ago

I've never eaten rabbit and don't plan to. There are so many other choices.

23. lhchan profile image65
    lhchanposted 6 years ago

Yes, just one time "Satay", grilled meat which make by rabbit(usually pork, chicken, mutton and beef), I do not like it. I prefer Chicken satay or pork satay. I don't like the taste although all my friends said the taste is delicious but for me NO.........................