Recipe writers and fans: what is your judging criteria for a well written recipe

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)
  1. ytsenoh profile image62
    ytsenohposted 12 years ago

Recipe writers and fans: what is your judging criteria for a well written recipe?

Do you write recipes you have tried and really enjoy?  Do you judge recipes by the way the language is displayed along with the accompanying images?  Lastly, do you use your senses when you combine the whole product ingredients with the spices, or does one or two of the ingredients make your tastebuds pop?

2. Rachel Richmond profile image60
    Rachel Richmondposted 12 years ago

For a well written recipe - it has to be easy to follow, like if written in a book. The persons enthusiastic delivery of a recipe is important too.  *you know now if they like the darn thing or not.
    I will change ingredients around to what I like smile Ha! It'll be eaten for sure and no leftovers.

3. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

I want an interesting story to go with the recipe.  It can be a couple of paragraphs, telling the reader where the recipe originated.  I don't care to read recipes that stars with the ingredients right away.  Tell me if you got it from grandma or if you made it up yourself or if you got it while vacationing somewhere.  Tell me anything, but don't jump into the ingredients and make it a very short Hub.  Give some history.  It would help to include step-by-step photographs or photographs that illustrate where the recipe is from.  Am I asking for too much?  Not really.

4. ChasingAutumn profile image61
    ChasingAutumnposted 12 years ago

I would never write a hub about a recipe I've never tried. And honestly I wouldn't suggest a recipe I didn't love. The recipes on my hubs are ones that I love and that everyone that eats them loves. I would hope other recipe writers do the same. Personally I judge a recipe based on the comments. When people try the recipe they tend to leave feedback. Esp if it did not turn out well.

5. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 12 years ago

I think short, to the point (maybe with bullet points) with plenty of pictures. 

It is important to write what you know.  If you have eaten what you have produced and enjoyed it, you are truely informed and, therefore, informing others in a constructed way.

A good tip, I have found, is to add other recipes from the same variation.  I did this with my gluten free cheesy quiche.  The cheesy pastry in this could be used to make cheesy gluten free biscuits.

http://shazwellyn.hubpages.com/hub/Reci … y-Biscuits

6. healthwriterbob profile image76
    healthwriterbobposted 12 years ago

Hi ytsenoh
    My main criterion is that the list of ingredients and the procedure are kept separate. In addition, all quanitites should be specified exactly--i.e. no words like "pinch" or "dash" should be used.
                                                                 Healthwriterbob

7. CookwareBliss profile image63
    CookwareBlissposted 12 years ago

I make sure the recipe is easy to follow and makes sense to the reader. I also judge the recipe by the finished product. My favorite recipes are the ones I enjoy cooking and eating smile

8. jestone profile image66
    jestoneposted 12 years ago

Enthusiasm adds credibility to the article. Then, just being clear is important and it always helps to have tips and tricks! Pictures are really helpful but don't go to crazy and don't put in pics where they aren't relevant. Otherwise, just don't forget to put the actual recipe in the article, don't make me get all mouth-watery and then have to hunt for it. ;-)

J

9. brielise profile image60
    brieliseposted 12 years ago

I don't like recipes where every single step comes with a full-length paragraph. I agree with Arlene that I like some background to start, but if the recipe itself is too length and strays a lot I have trouble keeping up with it.

I also like the recipe itself to be clean (step by step descriptions in order) and I like the recipe to have at least one pictures. It needs to be visually enticing. If I find a recipe and it doesn't have a picture, it will be hard to draw me in. On the other hand, if the picture doesn't look appetizing I'm probably not going to go for it either.

10. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 12 years ago

part one of the question..i only submit recipes i have tried and can stand behind...
    now addressing part of the rest of the question: if i am judging a recipe, i am looking for clear, easy to follow directions.
    images of the steps are not necessary to make me want to try the recipe that i read ..if it sounds like something my family and i will like, i often give it a try.
    i am of unclear about what is being asked in the whole spices thingie...i adjust spices to my taste...adding or omitting or reducing as needed....

11. Minn.purplerose profile image60
    Minn.purpleroseposted 12 years ago

A recipe just needs to be short and easy to follow.  Give precise amounts of ingredients.  I often look at the ingredients listed to imagine what it would taste like.  Include type and size of baking dish/pan, time needed to cook and oven temperature if appropriate.  Of course, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words and so it is with great recipes ... if food presentation isn't welcoming to the senses, people won't be as apt to try it.  My best recipes are on plain old recipe cards ... tried and true, handed down through the generations.

12. leroy64 profile image63
    leroy64posted 12 years ago

What will catch my eye is the culture the recipe comes from or a good picture.  A funny story will work too.  I tend to not read recipes that just jump into the mechanics of food, unless the person sharing is known to me.   

I look for the following:

1.  A background story

2.  A list of ingredients and equipment that I need to assemble.

3.  A sequence of the steps I need to take.  Photographs are nice at this step; but, not essential to me.  If you have the option, use them.

I am used to English measurements; but, I don't mind the math required to convert the measurements.  The most common difficulty I run across is the confusion between volume and weight measurements.  This is especially in true in baking recipes where precision is required.

13. steryker profile image60
    sterykerposted 12 years ago

I agree with arlene. A short story with a piicture or pictures of the finished product. How it tastes what are the strongest flavors and with easy to follow directions with exact  measurements

14. Andrea K Fleming profile image61
    Andrea K Flemingposted 12 years ago

I like when recipes tell the reader what type of occasion their meal could go with and what foods would be good to pair with the recipe.  Being easy to follow is very important to me and having a pictures is a great way for readers to judge if they are following the steps correctly. 

I try to use a variety of spices in my recipes rather than sticking to one or too staples.  If I read that a certain spice is good for your health I try to incorporate them more.

15. wonderingwoolley profile image58
    wonderingwoolleyposted 12 years ago

As a writer of recipe hubs, I want them to still feel like a hub, so I add my own comments and little fun stories about the recipe or the ingredient to make it fun (in surrounding capsules, not in the recipe capsule) to read. However, I only share recipes I have tried, so that I know what I'm sharing is right. Besides, how can I really tell someone about the deliciousness of the recipe if I don't know. I try to include the texture and taste so the reader knows what to expect. As for the recipe, I try to keep it as simple as possible. I'm just an amateur cook and so if I don't understand a complicated recipe, how can I share it with others? For me, a recipe should be simple to understand, and to follow and relatively easy to complete. Most people don't have time to cook a five course dinner every night, so why should we write recipes that way?

16. Mercia Collins profile image68
    Mercia Collinsposted 12 years ago

like any instructions a recipe should be short clear, and to the point. It should also have been tested so that the home cook is not disappointed.  Also as the French say you eat with your eyes first so a picture is a good thing.

17. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years ago

What makes a good recipe? Here's a list of important things to include when you publish a recipe online. read more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)