jump to last post 1-23 of 23 discussions (23 posts)

When you cook do you use exact measurements or do you "eyeball it"

1. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

When you cook do you use exact measurements or do you "eyeball it"

I'm really bad about using measuring cups/spoons.  Cooking comes naturally to me and I rarely if ever follow a recipe as is and I almost always just add ingredients by looking at them.  How about you? Do you cook without your measuring cups/spoons or do you prefer an exact recipe and measurements?

2. faith_love_hope32 profile image60
    faith_love_hope32posted 5 years ago

It depends.  Sometimes I measure, sometimes I eyeball it.  Depends on what I'm making and my mood.  smile  I have certain herbs that I use a lot for meat and chicken, with those I will eyeball it.  If I'm making a homemade barbecue sauce or a macaroni salad, I'll measure important ingredients that you don't want too much of or too little of.

3. ThelmaC profile image97
    ThelmaCposted 5 years ago

I used to publish a recipe newsletter and I always stressed to my readers the importance of measuring.  But I have to admit that most times I "eyeball" it!  Unless I am baking.  Then I measure flour, baking powder, etc. very accurately for the best results.  I never bother to measure spices but just add them as my taste dictates.

4. LaThing profile image73
    LaThingposted 5 years ago

I usually measure the ingredient if I am making it for the first time. After several try I start to eyeball it. But there are certain dishes that can't be done by eyeballing them, such as the choux pastry, those i try to stick with the measurements.

5. Trish303 profile image73
    Trish303posted 5 years ago

I eyeball everything. I have to measure my items when I post recipes on here or other sites. I never fallow a recipe to the letter I always got to spice it up a bit.

6. vespawoolf profile image97
    vespawoolfposted 5 years ago

I always measure when I'm baking cakes or cookies. Otherwise, I eyeball it. I think dishes turn out better that way! Even with baking, though, I almost always modify the recipe. But cakes are especially tricky for me.

7. randomcreative profile image93
    randomcreativeposted 5 years ago

It depends what I am making. If I'm cooking, it's rare that I do exact measurements. If I'm baking, I will when I feel that it's necessary.

8. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

I was going to say... I measure when baking. With cooking I usually just eyeball it or improvise. I have to admit though, often a dish will not taste the same every time.

9. bwhite062007 profile image86
    bwhite062007posted 5 years ago

I agree...cooking I normally eyeball but with baking I do the exact measurements.

10. mio cid profile image48
    mio cidposted 5 years ago

I'm an eyeballer,and with the salt I've developed this method of three , for whatever I'm cooking I put three amounts that I dump in my hand and depending on the size of the meal I'm cooking i just make the three bunches bigger or smaller.

11. Mama Kim 8 profile image92
    Mama Kim 8posted 5 years ago

I do a mixture. For some items like flour I quickly measure. My flour bin has a 1/2 cup measuring cup in at all times that's used to scoop so I just add it up in my head and use it even if the recipe calls for thirds. For small quantity items like baking powder or spices I measure them into my palm. It also depends on the recipe. If its something I've made many times I know how much and what it should look like. If its a new dish I like to measure so I know how its suppose to come out. Then the next time I make it I don't have to measure ^_^

12. jenbeach21 profile image77
    jenbeach21posted 5 years ago

I have to use exact measurements. I am not confident enough in my cooking abilities to just eyeball it.

13. sarahmoose profile image79
    sarahmooseposted 5 years ago

I measure most thing, but when it comes to things like curry or chilli, I like to do it 'to taste', so I eyeball this bit!! My hubby improvises a lot more than me, but he is a lot braver (and better) in the kitchen than me.

14. ChitrangadaSharan profile image56
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 5 years ago

There are certain things in cooking, you learn with experience. I have been cooking since long. And for everyday cooking, I do not use measurements, but for some recipes. I do write recipes for a site called, Tasty kitchen, where I have to mention everything in exact quantity. If I am teaching my children to cook some recipes, I do encourage them to measure the ingredients, for good results.

15. rfmoran profile image90
    rfmoranposted 5 years ago

My inclination is to eyeball it, but that sometimes results in a bad tasting result. It's not hard to measure, so we should do it, unless of course you are experimenting.

16. GiblinGirl profile image84
    GiblinGirlposted 5 years ago

I rarely ever follow a recipe exactly and I usually eyeball the ingredients.  I'll confess that sometimes it's simply because I don't feel like getting a measuring tool dirty - I love baking but hate doing dishes.

17. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 5 years ago

Both, it depends on what I am cooking. I know exactly what a teaspoon or 1/2 teaspoon of salt or other granulated substance looks like in my palm, also a pinch. As far as cooking times go, my ovens never seem to correlate exactly with the recipe's time, so I use it as a norm and keep a close watch. I use a small electric convection oven unless the dish is too big, then I use the oven on my new gas range, which costs much more to fuel. The cooking time is different for each one also.

18. mvillecat profile image77
    mvillecatposted 5 years ago

I do both depending on the recipe and ingredients. I know in baking you are suppose to be exact but it does not always happen.

19. Denise Handlon profile image89
    Denise Handlonposted 5 years ago

Both...If it is a new recipe I make the exact measurement.  If it is something I've cooked and am familiar with I usually eye ball it.  Also, if it is a recipe that is not a baked item I may eyeball it more than if it is a baked good.  smile

20. Rhonda Morrison profile image60
    Rhonda Morrisonposted 5 years ago

I use measuring cups and spoons when I am writing recipes or when I want to duplicate a flavor that has been a winner in the past.  Why mess with success?

In casual cooking, I eyeball it.  I cook for three teen-age boys and a husband of 17 years most of the time.  The only pressure I have is to make the food appear.  Flavor is not so much an issue.

When I am in a hurry and still want "Mom's best dish" results, I use the old Justin Wilson method of measuring in the palm of my hand.  When I cup my hand, I know where on my palm dry ingredients measure to.  I can measure 1/4 tsp. to 1/4 cup with accuracy. I will measure in my hand for 1/2 cup but it is not as consistent.   Yes, I have big hands.

21. catalinafr profile image60
    catalinafrposted 5 years ago

I usually eyeball unless exact measurements are required (like, strictly 2g of salt, otherwise it won't taste;)

22. Pauline Davenport profile image60
    Pauline Davenportposted 5 years ago

I always 'eyeball' as  my weighing scales are never where I want them to be. Using the same mixing bowls and baking tins  helps as you get to know just how much stuff to use - i guess that's cheating though really isn't it in the the spirit of the question? I think that once you've got the basics of a recipe in your head, it's nice to add a 'little bit of this and that' as well, and this does negate strict measuring procedures. It's nice to have a bit of excitement - mostly it works but just sometimes can be a disaster - ah well.....

23. miss1magination profile image67
    miss1maginationposted 5 years ago

My nan was a chef, she always told me to "eye ball it" which I continue today(sometimes). But many times I like to get the right consistency, if the recipe doesn't turn out! I guess it's practice:)

working