jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Does pork schnitzel have to have a sauce?

1. Sheila Lee profile image60
    Sheila Leeposted 6 years ago

Does pork schnitzel have to have a sauce?

Does it have to have a sauce or can it just be breaded and fried? Any suggestions for side dishes with it?

2. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 6 years ago

Absolutely not. One of my favorite schnitzels on this planet is butter schnitzel, with that super rich German butter flavor, a little bit of spice, and nothing else.

That is the beauty of a perfectly breaded pork cutlet: sauce or no sauce, they are wonderful.

3. rjsadowski profile image71
    rjsadowskiposted 6 years ago

No. pork schnitzel is served without a sauce just like Wiener Schnitzel.

4. Sheila Lee profile image60
    Sheila Leeposted 6 years ago

so what do I serve it with? Rice? Noodles? Veggies?

5. profile image0
    Ghaelachposted 6 years ago

Hi Sheila.
    You must have written this question for me. I live outside of Düsseldorf in Gremany and have just spent the last 15 min's talking to my wife who is German (I'm English) and she say's that most people in our region eat "Schweine Schnitzel"  mostly pure/natural which means without bread crumbs. This would be done in the frying pan/skillet 2 or 3 min's on each side and served with brat kartoffel and salad. Brat kartoffel are potato's cut small and fried in the pan/skillet until golden brown to a dark brown.
    Some people prefer Schnitzel paniert (in bread crumbs). This would be served with brat kartoffel and a wonderful pepper or muchroom sauce or which ever takes your fancy.
    My favorite is a Schnitzel 2/3 min's on both side's then covered with spinach and topped with cheese of your liking and then under the grill/broiler until the cheese has a hint of brown then eat, but be careful as the spinach having water in it is piping hot.
    Wonder-bar und guten appetit.
    LOL Ghaelach

6. ptosis profile image76
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

Does schnitzel have to be fried? I had made yeager schnitzel last night and well - I obviously screwed up.