How do you bake chicken to taste like fried chicken?

1. dappledesigns profile image90
    dappledesignsposted 6 years ago

How do you bake chicken to taste like fried chicken?

I'm looking for a way to make that nice crispy outside on chicken, but by baking it, not frying it (I absolutely hate working with hot oil). I've tried pre-made flour mixes, but it never tastes right. Is this possible without frying?

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image95
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 6 years ago

We made this all the time when I was a kid - it was easy and delicious. I'll give the basic directions (as much as I remember), but you can also search for Oven-Fried Chicken (you won't get the same results with 'baked' in the search).

Basically, you use an oven-proof skillet (we used cast iron). I believe we heated the oil ahead of time (350-degree oven). You bread the chicken as you normally would & put it in the pan & let it "oven-fry" till brown & crispy on both sides. Turn the pieces over when one side is browned.

I realize this isn't a complete recipe (can't recall how long it took), but I remember it was so easy - I made it as a teen, when my mom had me cook for the family while she worked. One point - everyone cooked chicken with the skin on back then. I'm sure the recipe will work either way, but you may not get the same crispy texture with skinless. Search for Oven-Fried Chicken & you'll get tips.

You're making me hungry . . .  :-)