jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the best way to cook "crispy" fried chicken?

1. GA Anderson profile image80
    GA Andersonposted 6 years ago

What is the best way to cook "crispy" fried chicken?

How do you get crispy fried chicken instead of just battered fried chicken when you cook it at home?

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

Dip the chicken in some stirred up eggs, then dip it in seasoned flour and pan fry in deep oil.  Bad for your health, but ohhhhh soooo good!

3. rex michaels profile image84
    rex michaelsposted 6 years ago

Hello, The oil must be hot and clean. Hot oil will cook the batter and not be absorbed. Once you lay the chicken in the oil it will cool down. Many people pan fry using cast iron, its hold the heat well. Using a deep frying allows the chicken to cook evenly. However, you must maintain the correct temps, and not overload the fryer.

4. barb7983 profile image58
    barb7983posted 6 years ago

I beat one egg is about 1 1/2 cups milk, dip the chicken pieces in that then shake them individually in a plastic zip-loc-type bag with "Fryin' Magic" (I think all it is is flour or corn meal with some seasoning.) I fry 4-5 pieces at a time in an electric deep fryer -- and yeah, start with clean oil for best results. The chickens have to fry for at least 18 minutes (20 is better) to get that "extra crispy" coating...and like one of the earlier respondents said, "bad for you, but ooooh soooo goood!"

5. feenix profile image61
    feenixposted 6 years ago

Because my ancestoral homeland is New Orleans, I know the secret.

Follow TIMETRAVELER's recipe ... but fry the chicken in an open skillet for a considerable length of time, over a very-low fire.

And while the pieces are slowly cooking, flip each of them over about two or three times.

Also, before placing the chicken pieces in the skillet, heat the oil -- over the low fire -- for about 5-10 minutes.

working