jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

How do I tone down a spicy buffalo sauce?

1. Crochetliens profile image73
    Crochetliensposted 6 years ago

How do I tone down a spicy buffalo sauce?

I made a dish that has loads of buffalo sauce but it is way to spicy.  What are things I can use to tone it down so my mouth doesn't disintegrate?

2. profile image0
    jenuboukaposted 6 years ago

Usually a buffalo sauce is made with a bottle of Franks or something of that nature.  I have found with all the many options of easy in the bottle buffalo sauce, Franks is the most mild.  There are a couple of options I do to tone it down. 
    This brand makes a "wing" sauce that is not as hot as the sauce, however I do not like the after taste...
    I like to dilute the sauce with some unsalted butter, I know not the healthiest option, but sure darn good.

Another way to create a buffalo sauce is to add a little sweet essence to it, a touch of BBQ sauce, the sweet will counter balance the spice. 
    That is the main idea, spicy will tone down with a little sweet or sour additive, so use your palette's preference. Hope this helps!

3. John Sarkis profile image83
    John Sarkisposted 6 years ago

Sugar usually does the job.  However, you could  have blended in more water in and used less sauce and this usually does the job.  (e.g., I made Zatarians' Black Beans and Rice for my family two days ago.  The last time I made it for them they thought it was too spicy, so I used regular rice and blended it into the recipe and it worked out great)

4. FordeAhern profile image60
    FordeAhernposted 6 years ago

Try some natural yoghurt Stir some in and and see how hot it is.  If its too hot add more yoghurt to it.

5. Crochetliens profile image73
    Crochetliensposted 6 years ago

I don't have yogurt on hand.  Would sour cream work or do you think it would taste strange?

6. crazyhorsesghost profile image74
    crazyhorsesghostposted 6 years ago

A sweet barbecue sauce would be the best way to tone it down though if you want great chicken wings in the future hunt for a Buffalo Wing Sauce that is not to spicy for you. But know that most Buffalo Wing Sauces will have some fire to them.

7. athena2011 profile image55
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

The first thing that comes to my mind is to mix in some butter. I know it adds to the fat content but it will keep it creamy and should dilute the heat for you.

8. profile image61
    george tomasposted 13 months ago

If you listen to me you buy in the store

9. Spanish Food profile image92
    Spanish Foodposted 10 months ago

You can cut the spice with any kind of acid. Yogurt or sour cream work well, or add some lemon or orange juice, if you have it. Another option would be to add some tomato puree (or crushed tomatoes, if you don't mind changing the texture), because they're high in acid as well. Bright herbs like cilantro or fresh parsley can help, too!

10. profile image0
    FoldingOperatorposted 4 months ago

Adding a bit of cream cheese would help mellow it out.

11. profile image58
    Jan Carkinposted 3 months ago

The easiest this is put in half as much next time. Dairy products will calm it down. Even ranch or blue cheese dressings can help