jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Explain the harmful effects of vinegar in food?

1. soni2006 profile image80
    soni2006posted 6 years ago

Explain the harmful effects of vinegar in food?

Vinegar is used in preparing so many food recipes especially Chinese dishes such as chow mein etc. But tell me why this is harmful?

2. stugod profile image74
    stugodposted 6 years ago

Not a clue. I drink the stuff and always have. So did my Grandmother for some strange reason. I once bought a gallon can of it which was concentrated. You had to water it down for normal use, I think it must of been a catering product. I know it is very acidic, Place a dirty penny in it and it will come up like new.

3. chefsref profile image81
    chefsrefposted 6 years ago

I never heard it was harmful. What have you been told?
    I remember an old Italian man I worked for who used to drink vinegar right from the bottle.He was 86 so whatever harm he was suffering it sure had a slow effect. :>)

4. Valerie60 profile image59
    Valerie60posted 6 years ago

Vinegar's key ingredient acetic acid has its side effects, sometimes causing heartburn and bad breath. When used in larger quantity, too much acidity on the stomach can have negative effects such as kidney failure and severe internal burns as once reported from rupture of red blood cells when a woman who attempted suicide by drinking about 400 millilters of 25 percent acetic acid-- roughly the same amount you'd find in a quart of strong vinegar.

Another report tells of a cider vinegar fan who developed hypokalemia (low potassium levels), hyperreniemia (a condition caused by overactive kidneys that can lead to high blood pressure and other problems), and osteoporosis.

And vinegar pills have a list of adverse effects such as: irritability, nervousness, and papitations and less frequently anorexia, constipation, gastrointestinal irritation, headaches, "hypersecretory conditions," vertigo, and vomiting.

Staying within small doses will maintain a healthy and safe digestive system.

5. Cloverleaf profile image86
    Cloverleafposted 6 years ago

Can vinegar do damage to your body?  Having too much vinegar in food could in fact do more harm than good.  Here are a few reasons why. read more