jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is ice cream healthy?

1. Nosetta profile image56
    Nosettaposted 6 years ago

Is ice cream healthy?

I dont know ice cream is healthy or not.... I mean it is made with milk, and yogart, cream, (dairy products) sometimes it even has fruit-  but then again it has lots of sugar, and I've heard it can be very fatening. I do like ice cream and this question always has me wondering it it's worth enjoying. Should I eat it when ever I feel like it (very often) or should I start avoiding it more?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6235304_f260.jpg

2. RayChawla profile image60
    RayChawlaposted 6 years ago

Ice cream can be healthy, but that depends on the ingredients it is made from.
    It can be a source of calcium (strengthens your bones), a source of protein and other vitamins that you need in your diet. Ice cream has a low glycemic (sugar) index which is good, because high glycemic foods cause increase in fat storage. With that in mind, ice cream also has its negative qualities...high in saturated fats (bad for you), high in calories and cholesterol.
    Everything in moderation is okay. I hope this answers your question.

3. Adamowen profile image79
    Adamowenposted 6 years ago

@RayChawla The Glycemic index is irrelevant unless one is eating carbohydrates without any other macro nutrient source present, which ice cream doesn't as it contains fat and protein.

Ice cream, like any other food is perfectly fine in moderation.

4. Temirah profile image81
    Temirahposted 6 years ago

In moderation, why not?!  A little bit of what you fancy does you good.

working