jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you think your body reacts negatively to artificial sweeteners?

1. Natashalh profile image92
    Natashalhposted 6 years ago

Do you think your body reacts negatively to artificial sweeteners?

I know that artificial sweeteners are deemed safe and theoretically do not affect your body differently from natural sweeteners, but have you experienced any negative side effects from consuming artificial sweeteners?

2. Grams Study profile image60
    Grams Studyposted 6 years ago

I certainly hope not.  I use them in my coffee all the time and I have no ill feelings from them that I notice.  I prefer my brands however.  I won't name them here for obvious reasons but some seem to work better than others to still give me a good cup of coffee.  Once in a while I bake with the artificial sweetners and with a few changes here and there like adding apple sauce and other things it turns out pretty well.  Sugar still makes the best textured cake but if you can't use it the other works very well.  Thanks for your question churchlady

3. MarleneB profile image95
    MarleneBposted 6 years ago

Oh, I know my body acts negatively to artificial sweeteners. I tend to get lightheaded and lethargic after consuming food or beverages made with artificial sweeteners. At first, I thought it was just psychological. But, I discovered that even though doctors and others say these sweeteners are safe, my body doesn't agree. My husband actually tried to fool me by placing an artificial sweetener into my coffee on several occasions. He makes my coffee in the morning. Bless his heart. Each time he tried a different sweetener (unbeknown to me) I became ill. He stopped doing that because he saw how it affected me. I don't know what's in these artificial sweeteners. Some say they are all natural. I don't know. But, even natural foods can make you sick. For example, some people are allergic to peanuts. There is nothing artificial about peanuts, yet some people are highly allergic to peanuts. I'm highly allergic to artificial sweeteners... except "Splenda"... go figure!

4. BlissfulWriter profile image68
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

Yes, it is considered safe.   I would consume it if there were no other choice, but whenever possible try to avoid.   I wrote about how aspartame can have the potential to kill brain cells through excitotoxicity here...
    http://blissfulwriter.hubpages.com/hub/ … -Aspertame

However, taken in limited amounts, the effects are so slight that it should not be a concern for most people.  Although there are some who are particularly sensitive to it.

5. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

They're one of the most harmful "food products" humans can ingest.  They're neurotoxins and they cause cancer.  There's no need for them.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I personally do not have any response to the artificial sweetners.  My daughter finds that she gets fibromyalgia-like symptoms if she has any of the artificial sweetners.

7. Natashalh profile image92
    Natashalhposted 6 years ago

Thanks for all the responses! I know they make me feel terrible, but whenever I tell that to people, they say I'm making it up and there's just no way. I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

8. Insane Mundane profile image60
    Insane Mundaneposted 6 years ago

I would hope so, considering they are man-made chemicals and are basically poisons to the human body.  If you really must have a sugar alternative, at least try a natural, herbal one like Stevia.