jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

What is the healthiest sugar alternative for your tea and coffee?

1. Jan Fowler profile image61
    Jan Fowlerposted 7 years ago

What is the healthiest sugar alternative for your tea and coffee?

There have been many claims that certain substitutes are carcinogenic and otherwise unhealthy. What is the best choice?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4365675_f260.jpg

2. tmgoldmarketing profile image61
    tmgoldmarketingposted 7 years ago

Simple carbohydrates have their cons but I would say Honey is the best and most "natural" choice.

3. camlo profile image89
    camloposted 7 years ago

I don't think there is a really safe artificial sweetener. When I was a teenager, it was thought that sugar was a major cause of acne, do I stopped sweetening my coffee altogether. It didn't taste good at first, but I soon got used to it, and can't drink sweet coffee at all now. So, I'd say just stop sweetening to be on the safe side.
    As Tmgoldmarketing says, honey is a great natural sweetener if you want to avoid sugar; not sure it helps with the calories, though, if that's your concern.

4. Terje Sannarnes profile image60
    Terje Sannarnesposted 7 years ago

No sugar is the only alternative. Why do they make coffee and tea with different flavors if you are going to kill it with sugar. I drink my coffee black and tea without sugar.

5. Salliebb profile image57
    Salliebbposted 7 years ago

My aunt swears by something made from AGave. It has a honey like texture and taste but is a little thinner than honey. Both the Agave and regualar honey have 60 calories per Tblsp. Sugar is 16 per tsp. There are three tsp to one tblsp thus making sugar 48 calories per tblsp and the less fattening. However I would think raw sugar would be better. There are no artificial sweeteners that even approach being good for you, so the answer to that is none.
    I am not a good one to ask, as I drink my coffee black and put whatever is in reach in my tea. I also drink caffeine free flavored teas which have Heaven only knows how many chemical alterations without artificial sweeteners.  If pushed to the wall, I would give up drinking tea, as I don't really like it and I like it even less without a sweetener.
    Coffee I have always had black and always will, but again I am using Decaf most of the time, so there goes the chemical process again.
    Deena would have a field day with me!

6. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

No sweetener, no sugar, that is the healthiest alternative.

7. Liv Senstad profile image59
    Liv Senstadposted 7 years ago

I tend to agree with those saying no sugar at all - I stopped and got quickly used to having only the rich taste of coffee or tea, but you have to want it.
    Otherwise there is no healthy artificial sugar - the natural brown sugar might be the next best solution or honey as mentioned below.

8. Elizabeth Guinoo profile image56
    Elizabeth Guinooposted 7 years ago

i prefer plain tea. you can taste the tea better.

9. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Going without is the best replacement for sugar. You will get used to it very quickly.

10. ts.erlandsson profile image60
    ts.erlandssonposted 7 years ago

My best suggestion is NO SHUGER AT ALL. All substitutes are bad for your boddy and make you fat.

11. sisterofdummy profile image60
    sisterofdummyposted 7 years ago

I agree with honey being a good choice, but I think that organic sugar is the best choice if you want your coffee, tea, whatever sweetened.  ABSOLUTELY NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS!!!  They can kill you.  Organic is the way to go and does not cause a rise in the blood sugars the way over-processed sugars do.  A life well and lengthily lived is far better than sweet coffee now.

12. FitnessTom profile image60
    FitnessTomposted 7 years ago

I am actually very surprised that nobody pointed out the existence of Stevia.

The problem with sugar, including artificial/natural sweeteners like agave, honey, or splenda, is the insulinemic response in your body.

Fortunately, Stevia is the only (natural) sweetener that does not have this effect. Currently, there is no evidence at all to support any bad effects from Stevia consumption. It is the ONLY sweetener one should ever use.

13. dredcuan profile image30
    dredcuanposted 6 years ago

Try using honey.  I use honey with my tea especially when I'm sick.  I've read before that tea with honey helps in curing cough too.

working