jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What are your favorite types of vinegar, why do you like them and what do you us

1. AliciaC profile image99
    AliciaCposted 6 years ago

What are your favorite types of vinegar, why do you like them and what do you use them for?

2. veggie-mom profile image71
    veggie-momposted 6 years ago

White vinegar for cleaning & marinating cucumbers; rice vinegar for homemade stir-fry sauce & balsamic for salad dressing

3. deegle profile image60
    deegleposted 6 years ago

Though there are many types of vinegar, the two most common are white vinegar and apple cider vinegar. My favorite type of vinegar Is apple cider vinegar. It's great in many dishes but primarily I used it for it's medicinal properties.

I really like apple cider vinegar because it actually has many minerals and it's great for whenever I have any digestive issues like gas or indigestion. I take a teaspoon of  apple cider vinegar in a small glass of water and the gassy feeling is gone within a minute. I have a friend with acid reflux and she was seeing a doctor for it and never was able to get any relief. I told her to try apple cider vinegar and she no longer has a problem.

I don't know that it works for everyone. but if you have a problem like I described give it a try. I doubt you will have any bad effects from it since it is a food.

4. profile image54
    garymiller99posted 6 years ago

It depends what you are using it for.  As someone said it makes a great cleaner.  Some of my favorite vinegars are champaigne vinegar, rice vinegar, and regular and infused balsamic vinegars.  Depending on what I am making I will use one over another.  Sometimes vinegars are used to inflate doughs as in a chemical bread.  Here the need for yeast is not as mandatory as it is for taste.  Of course baking soda and baking powder are needed.  Mostly I use vinegars as a souring agent and depending on the flavor i want which one I will use.

5. Hubpage Gal profile image60
    Hubpage Galposted 6 years ago

My favorite vinegar is distilled vinegar and the private label brand is fine.  As Dr. Oz suggested, I use the vinegar to curb my appetite but stopped when I discovered that vinegar was acetic acid.  I did not like the acidity even when added to water so I stopped and now use the time interval method of eating low calorie meals 5 times a day to lose weight instead of the vinegar.

6. OKSara1982 profile image59
    OKSara1982posted 6 years ago

Red wine vinegar. I put it on any pasta salad, chinese food a lot of stuff the last goes on lol

7. MariCars profile image55
    MariCarsposted 6 years ago

My go-to choice is organic cider vinegar. It seems to cure almost anything!  Also makes a great garlic and herb dressing, and fantastic steak kabob marinade mixed with 2 parts oil, worcestershire and minced onion. Red wine vinegar is a more subtle option for seafood marinades. Balsamic is great on salads and with parmesan or goat cheese, and honey. I once tried a Balsamic and Fig, which was amazing!  But no kitchen is complete without white vinegar, if only as a cleaning agent.

Now if you want brands, or more exotic options, we will need someone else to chime in...

working