Does anyone have a really great seafood gumbo recipe that does NOT start with a roux?
I'm a faint-of-heart cook who finds a roux intimidating )
if you are interested can look at this article:
http://vanquan9x.hubpages.com/hub/Tomat … tter-sauce
Then why don't you try skipping the roux. I've had gumbo without a roux. It's a little different but it's still pretty good. And roux are easy to make. I learned from a black male who used to live in New Orleans and worked in a restaurant off of Magazine St. Hmmmm.... Maybe I should post his recipies online...
Having Gumbo with out a roux would be like having a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich with out the Jelly.
Making a really great roux is easy.
1. You need a heavy skillet or stock pot. You don't want a thin skillet or stock pot or your roux will burn easily.
2. You need a wire whisk.
3. You will need a cup of real butter and a cup of all purpose plain flour.
4. Put your butter in the skillet or stock pot over medium heat and allow the butter to melt.
5. Once the butter is thoroughly melted add your flour in a little at a time until all the flour is worked in. By this time you will be stirring constantly with your wire whisk and you don't want to let up until you start seeing your flour get brown.
6. Now keep stirring until all your flour is brown about the color of a old copper penny which is also about the color of the Mississippi River.
7. Now remove the roux from the heat and your ready to use it.
And now anyone should be able to make delicious roux and gumbo.
You will never have a rich tasting Gumbo with out a roux and if you follow those directions you should be able to make a roux and a delicious gumbo.
by Charlu5 years ago
Does anyone have a good guacamole recipe? Found one that was 90 minutes to prepare, is that normal?I was in the store yesterday and they had free samples of fresh avocado (it was so good) and tomatoes. Then when I...
by Yves21 months ago
Does anyone else find it odd that Trump is not really going after on Hillary on her bad history?Yes, he calls her "Lying Hillary" and states that she would be a "terrible president." But come on...
by JenniOwley4 months ago
Does anyone know how to get back at the "other woman?"I want a legal way to let everyone know what a whore this woman is that works with my husband.
by Christin Sander5 years ago
Does anyone know a gluten free bread recipe that has a soft, light texture good for sandwiches?I have to eat Gluten free and I have not had much success making a bread we can all enjoy for sandwiches and the store...
by Selina Kyle6 years ago
Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade pizza dough?
by Donna Thomas5 years ago
Does anyone on HubPages really make money? It really doesn't seem possible?I don't think anyone really makes any kind of real money on here, I only wrote a few articles to test the waters, but they are very high...
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.