How Do You Cook Chickpeas?

1. ngureco profile image82
    ngurecoposted 5 years ago

How Do You Cook Chickpeas?

I have now bought the split chickpeas which is a variety coming from India. I believe chickpeas contain proteins, carbohydrate, fiber, oil, ash, calcium, and phosphorus. The problem I have is that I do not know how to cook chickpeas. How do I cook chickpeas? Can you share any recipe of yours that may use chickpeas?

2. Foodstuff profile image95
    Foodstuffposted 5 years ago

Hi ngureco,

I am assuming you are referring to what is known as Channa Dhall (which is the Indian Chickpea and also known as gram or Bengal gram) rather than chickpeas known as garbanzos.

Channa Dhall (Indian split chickpeas) doesn't require the overnight soaking that chickpeas (garbanzos) do.

To prepare it, you should wash it in plenty of water. Pick out any dirt or stone bits. Drain it well and then boil until cooked but not soft. (About 20 - 30 mins should do it).

It's lovely in vegetable curries. Just look up some Indian vegetarian recipes - I/m sure there's are lots of hubs with vegetable/pulse curries. [Only reason I am not writing out a recipe here is that there are a number of steps (and quite a number of ingredients) involved to make a curry from scratch]

Hope this helps.

3. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

Foodstuff's preparation tips are excellent. You can speed the cooking in a pressure-cooker.

Once cooked, they are excellent in any soup or stew. Or you can grind them up in a blender or food processor and add olive oil, tahini (sesame butter), lemon, and salt to make hummus, a wonderful spread or sandwich filling.

Or you can sautee garlic and other Indian spices (mustard seed is good) in ghee (clarified butter) or oil, and add them to the chick peas with water to a thick paste, and cook longer to make dahl.