jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can a lobster feel fear or be scared before being cooked?

1. cubes profile image59
    cubesposted 6 years ago

Can a lobster feel fear or be scared before being cooked?

I went to my friend's house the other day and we had lobster. Now, I'm perfectly fine with eating lobster, but I saw my friend prepare a live lobster right in front of me. I felt a little bad for the little guy. Although it was delicious and I did not hesitate while eating it.

2. Bretsuki profile image77
    Bretsukiposted 6 years ago

Hello, this is a good question.

I don't know if we can really tell if a lobster would know fear or be scared. It possibly would feel stress from being outside its normal environment.

As to it's imminent demise? No I don't think a lobster would feel fear of the future. We humans cannot even predict certainty in our futures and many of our fears are caused by either unknown outcomes or past experience of similar situations. Their is no evidence of any animals other than humans having this cognative capability. So I think the lobster would die in a state of ignorance to it's fate.

3. smzclark profile image61
    smzclarkposted 6 years ago

lol. What a question :-p. And the simple answer is no :-) . I think it's us who feel the fear (of the bill coming) where lobster's concerned!

4. hush4444 profile image70
    hush4444posted 6 years ago

I've often felt the same when my husband has brought home lobsters from diving, although I love to eat them.  Since they don't have a central nervous system, and, like Bretsuki said, they wouldn't even know to be scared if they were capable of feeling it, I wouldn't worry.

working