What is the best way to convert your diet to vegetarian from omnivore?

1. Shelly McRae profile image80
    Shelly McRaeposted 5 years ago

What is the best way to convert your diet to vegetarian from omnivore?

Provide some tips on changing your diet while ensuring you maintain your nutritional needs.

2. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

It is easy to get all the nutrition you need from a vegetarian diet - it's not tricky at all.  It's a myth that you need meat for protein etc.  Quinoa is a great grain source of complete protein and it's delicious eaten like a rice as a side or you can even make dessert from it. 

You can also use meat substitutes, although a lot of them are highly processed.  I suggests making your own.  There are many recipe blogs and sites all over for vegetarian recipes.  One of our favorites that even our meat eating friends enjoy are black bean burgers.  You can soak TVP (textured vegetable protein) and use this in place of ground beef as well.  I have gluten/wheat issues so I can no longer do that unfortunately, but when I first went Vegetarian years ago I loved using TVP to make lasagna, burgers, casseroles etc.

The bulk of nutrients in our diets are plant based - you're more apt to get more of what you need by simply eating fruits and vegetables.  smile good luck.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image98
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

If you want to transition, I would start by gradually adding wild salmon and organic chicken.

working