jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What are some helpful hints or information to tell someone (me) who is new to ve

1. chipped teacup profile image90
    chipped teacupposted 5 years ago

What are some helpful hints or information to tell someone (me) who is new to veganism?

2. Matthew Meyer profile image74
    Matthew Meyerposted 5 years ago

I have been vegan since 1999.  It certainly wasn't easy in Indiana, but is not as much of a task in the San Francisco Bay area.

Do research on proper vegan nutrition.  There is nothing you can't get from non-animal sources, but there are a few vitamins and minerals that you will have to think about a bit more (B complex, Iron, Calcium among them).

Be prepared to cook more if you don't do so already.

Baking is harder, but it can be done.  Modifying non-vegan baking recipes can be problematic.

Try to find good replacements for foods you will miss.

Good luck!

chipped teacupposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the great tips! smile

2. Vasiliki Bouras profile image60
      Vasiliki Bourasposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have been vegan for 9 years. If you need any recipes i have some hubs on them, i also have no problem in helping you out with anything! Great advice Matthew!

3. Bob Zermop profile image88
    Bob Zermopposted 5 years ago

I just started (about a month ago) being vegan, so I don't have that much experience, but I agree with everything Matthew Mayer said. I'd add that when you're eating out, Mexican, Thai, and Indian restaurants have a lot of things to eat but any restaurant generally has accidentally vegan options. Also I recently realized you can get b12 from fortified soy milk, which I've found a lot more convenient. Best of luck!

chipped teacupposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!  Now I know that I can still go out to eat! smile

4. twoseven profile image85
    twosevenposted 5 years ago

Seitan (wheat gluten) is a really great meat substitute and easy to make and flavor!  I am not vegan, but am vegetarian, and I really love eating seitan when others are eating meat. 

Also, tofutti cuties make a great dessert and it's hard to believe they don't contain dairy!

Good luck!

5. Turtlewoman profile image96
    Turtlewomanposted 5 years ago

Great tips from Matthew. I just want to add that it's definitely possible to obtain all your nutrients, particularly protein from other sources such as plant-based foods. Nutritional yeast is an amazing staple for vegans. It has all the essential proteins and very high in vitamin B's. It's usually sustituted for cheese in many dishes. (I also wrote a hub about it).
    Vegan desserts can be yummy too. You may not heard of silken tofu, but it is commonly used to substitute eggs and dairy in desserts. It creates the creamiest textures- not to mention healthy too!
    You just have to be open to new ingredients, and let your tastebuds get used to some of the unique vegan dishes. Good luck and happy eating!

working