jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

When cooking battered-fried prawns,

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

When cooking battered-fried prawns,

how how do you keep the batter from sliding off the prawn when it hits the oil?  I've tried patting them dry on paper towels before dipping in the batter; I've tried dredging them in flour before dipping in the batter...nothing seems to work!

2. profile image0
    Marntzuposted 5 years ago

Are you drying them thoroughly and removing the skin before battering them? If so it could be the batter recipe itself, try a simple blend of AP flour (1 & 1/2 cups), baking powder (1 tsp), salt and black pepper (1 tsp each). make sure you do the egg wash first then dip in the flour. when you put them in the fryer do it by hand or with a spider and slowly lower them into the oil. If you drop them in from any height that could knock the batter loose too.

DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Marntzu--Thanks. I dry as much as possible without leaving paper shreds on them. They're pre-skinned & shelled from the fish counter in the supermarket;label says, "previously handled frozen."  Could that be the problem?

2. profile image0
      Marntzuposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It shouldn't

3. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 5 years ago

In my opinion  I would first dip in whisked egg and then into flour and  in very hot oil the batter would stay

Ok--my husband picked up some more yesterday--and I just noticed, for the first time, not only "previously handled frozen," but also says "pre-cooked." (DUH! they're pink!  Should'a known!)  Does that make a difference?

2. DDE profile image24
      DDEposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't make a difference the whole idea is of the batter to stay the egg helps well for me thanks

4. Rui Carreira profile image86
    Rui Carreiraposted 5 years ago

Hello.... I don't cook prawns, I'm going to be honest with you - I saw your 100 hubscore and I just wanted to come in and congratulate you. People like you are a huge inspiration for me.

I wanted you to know that big_smile

Good luck cooking prawns wink

Thank you very much, Rui.

5. ellebyam profile image66
    ellebyamposted 5 years ago

First of all, make sure that your cooking oil has reached the standard 400-degree frying temp. Dip your prawns in batter and place it on a small saucer. Slide the battered prawn from the saucer to the hot cooking oil.

Thanks, ellebyam.  I'll try that the next time.   I hadn't even thought about using a thermometer (don't have one!) I don't even have a real deep fryer--just saucepan & I use the old-fashioned bread cube temp test.

2. ellebyam profile image66
      ellebyamposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You can check the oil temperature by dropping a granule of rock salt in it. If the granule floats and sizzles, your hot oil is ready. Another way coating prawns:coat first in a flour-cornstarch mixture, dip in egg then in breadcrumbs.

Closed to reply

working