Is sushi an acquired taste?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. snoblet profile image82
    snobletposted 11 years ago

Is sushi an acquired taste?

I have been into sushi for some time now, but those around me find it weird and only many times of eating it did they finally admit to liking it.  I just remember how I like it the first time eating it.

2. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

If it is, it's a taste I won't be acquiring.   My thinking is that if I don't like the looks of something (and I REALLY don't like the looks of sushi - it looks like something awful in a lab) I see no point "acquiring" a taste for it.  Well, more accurately, if I hate the looks (and concept) of something, I couldn't possibly ever like it even if I wanted to acquire a taste for it.  The world is full of food that isn't "creepy" and disgusting.  Why even consider finding out what the creepy-and-disgusting variety of food tastes like...

Besides, sushi or any other food, from my experience I've found that if I don't like the looks, smell, concept, and/or taste of a food  the first time I encounter it, I'm not likely to change my mind about it.  I figure, there's a reason we're equipped with instinct to reject food based on its looks, concept, etc.  One can't go too wrong following that instinct.    (lol)

snobletposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One of my friends asked me how can I eat that stuff while he has ate things far worse, like brains from certain animals.  I guess it a preference thing too.  It isn't all to bad though.

3. Gabriel Wilson profile image92
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 11 years ago

I have tried sushi a few times and it's not really my thing; I'd rather a big lump of fillet steak, but everyone to their own. I think all foods are an acquired taste for some. I mean not everyone enjoys fish, or likes game. In fact when you think about it lots of people have different tastes. I know plenty of people who don't like dairy, or salads and others who don't like the taste of smoked meats and can't stand goats cheese. It's just some foods seem more popular than others depending on your culture and where you live. I mean can you imagine eating deep fried hamster! Now that's what I call an acquired taste.

Oh sorry! I just noticed your profile pic smile

lol yea I was in Peru and they eat guinea pigs there and I felt bad but everyone that ate it had said that it taste good.  I don't think I will ever find out but fish whether its cooked or raw some just don't like it.

4. azahorik profile image83
    azahorikposted 11 years ago

I don't like to say anything's an acquired taste because that implies that somehow it can't possibly be good to eat unless you hold your nose and force yourself to eat it until, somehow, you change your mind about disliking it.

That being said, to those who won't try it, don't close your mind to something just because you get an impression that maybe it might not be good based on how it looks.  Instinct is one thing, but a lot of food preferences have to do with habit and expectation, and the human mind is actually tuned to be suspicious of unfamiliar foods not because they're "bad" but because familiar is safe, and why run the risk?

However, your thinking brain can override that if you're pretty sure a food won't kill you, based on the facts at hand.  Just because it's instinct doesn't mean it's right.

So, yes, sushi is an acquired taste insofar as, in order to enjoy it, you have to ditch any hangups or prejudices you may have and just go ahead and taste it.  If you've already decided that you hate a food, you're going to hate it no matter what.  If you go into it with an open mind, you might be surprised what tastes you'll "acquire" - not because they're somehow inherently weird or bad, but because you've changed your own perceptions.

I couldn't have agreed more to your comment.  Keeping an open mind to anything is important otherwise anything new would be easily rejected.

5. Cherry Red profile image61
    Cherry Redposted 11 years ago

I think the majority of people either love it or hate it! A bit like marmite!  I love it, it's healthy, filling and I always feel quite virtuous eating it.  But I get why some people might not like the 'raw' aspect of it.

Raw is what makes it interesting.  Anything can be gross.  Just like fermenting milk to make cheese which smells nasty.  People just need time to accept new things maybe.  I think of sushi just as you describe it.

6. culinary traveler profile image60
    culinary travelerposted 11 years ago

I was always anti- sushi and then my sister took me out for it. We only had a few cooked rolls and when I ate them, they were a bit overwhelming for me. I left with my dislike of sushi in-tact. The thing is, when something is extremely new or you don't know how to eat it or have a baseline to compare it to, it can be pretty difficult to wrap your mind and taste buds around.

It took me a year but I tried sushi again. Again, I didn't try raw sushi because the idea of it still bothers me (maybe I will try it some day) but the cooked sushi rolls I tried the second time were actually quite good. I have had sushi on numerous occasions now and continue to like it.

I certainly see that certain foods are an "acquired" taste. Research shows that children need to try a food at least 7-10 times before liking it if it is new. That's why there are so many articles and books about re-presenting foods to them even if they hated them the first time.

As adults, we don't encounter that many foods outside of our previously recorded norm and thus don't have to think about the possibility of having to go through the same process as kids, but we really do. We may not even be as graceful as children about it because no one is whispering in our ear "oh just try it, you may like it!"

Some people just get scared of eating anything raw.  Someone I know will not eat sushi but will eat a steak cook rare but not eat raw fish.  Just makes me think if its because they rather eat beef than fish.

7. Leroyworld profile image59
    Leroyworldposted 11 years ago

It did not take me long to acquire a taste for sushi.  One bite in fact.  An eel roll and it was great.  I was trying to impress someone. (It didn't work on her.)  I have liked sushi ever since.  I know some people who refuse to try it.  They refer to it a fish bait.  Maybe there is a cultural bias in play?

I guess some peoples' view towards sushi is like my view on cheese.  It smells nasty and sometimes the taste is even worse.  Fermenting milk is kinda gross and some might say the same about sushi.

2. Leroyworld profile image59
      Leroyworldposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have been reading the answers and I think I should mention that not all sushi is served raw.  Eel is cooked.   The raw tastes good; but, it's not an absolute sushi rule.

3. snoblet profile image82

Yep not all the raw stuff is good, some requires more than an acquired taste.  most of the cook stuff seem to be very similar but it might be just me.

8. KenWu profile image59
    KenWuposted 11 years ago

For me, I fell in love with sushi even before I tried it. Seeing people eating them made me somehow must be part of the sushi eating community, well, maybe this is due to that I'm an Asian and we love eating rice. But somehow, I've tried avoiding eating sushi now as I'm cutting down my consumption on meat and sushi, progressing into a vegetarian life.

Yea we do eat rice quite a bit, sushi actually provides a good amount of fish oil for diets.  Eating sushi actually doesn't make you feel full like eating something greasy.  Not sure I can handle being a vegetarian.

2. ChristyWrites profile image79
      ChristyWritesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're right KenWu that the look of sushi is very neat and appetizing!

9. ChristyWrites profile image79
    ChristyWritesposted 11 years ago

Personally I do not find sushi to be an acquired taste. I liked it the first time I tried it as well. There are so many great combos and I have always liked Asian foods.

Perhaps it depends on what food you were used to having growing up and the culture you live in. I heart sushi!

I really had a hard time the first time I ate sushi, but I was glad I did.  We went fishing and the guide that brought us to our destination said that fish caught fresh in the Arctic can be eaten on the spot and it was real good, and fresh.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)