jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Should you tip at a buffet, fast food restaurant or coffee shop?

1. bankscottage profile image96
    bankscottageposted 5 years ago

Should you tip at a buffet, fast food restaurant or coffee shop?

A recent question asked 'when dining out at a restaurant, how much of a tip do you leave?'  Waiters and waitresses are usually paid less than minimum wage so they depend on tips.  What about employees that are paid at least minimum wage?  We tip the driver that delivers our pizza or Chinese food, but should we tip at a buffet?  What about at a fast food restaurant or coffee shop?  At a restaurant, wait staff serve us, attend to our needs and requests, and clean up after us to earn their tip.  At a buffet, coffee shop or fast food restaurant we do a lot of these ourselves.  If yes, how much?

2. BobMonger profile image59
    BobMongerposted 5 years ago

I usually leave a bit extra at a buffet and coffee shop-depending on the service. Fast food I usually don't. Most fast food places actively discourage monetary compensation for their employees so the opportunity never arises.

3. Virtuous1 profile image60
    Virtuous1posted 5 years ago

Buffet place yes you should leave a tip, now in a fast food restaurants they don't ask for tips so how can you leave a tip?

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

The practice of leaving tips for an increasing variety of service-sector workers can be controversial.
    There are arguments on both pro and con sides, and each sound valid.  This article explains why it may be an outdated custom. read more

1. BobMonger profile image59
      BobMongerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was always taught that the word "TIPS" to be the acronym for "To Insure Proper Service" and it does. If you frequent any eating or drinking establishment and the servers know you to be polite and tip well, they will always go that little bit extra.

5. Sn Hang profile image57
    Sn Hangposted 5 years ago

I often leave a tip when I have meal in restaurant. But in coffee shops and fastfood I don't. I don't see many people leaving tips in these place.
    A list of recommended restaurants here: http://restaau.co.uk/

working