jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)

Salt Junkie?

1. The Rope profile image55
    The Ropeposted 8 years ago

Some love sweets, some favor salty.  If you're a salt junkie, what's your favorite salty food and do you worry about salt in-take?

2. profile image0
    Justine76posted 8 years ago

I love cheese and crackers. And when my sister was 3 or 4 she ate so much salt, she had high blood pressure!! She had horrible nose bleeds and had to have veins in her nose cautrized. She was on a strict low sodium diet. So yes, I am careful of how much salt I eat.

3. fishtiger58 profile image79
    fishtiger58posted 8 years ago

I love salt to. When I don't get enough my body will let me know. I love potato chips the saltier the better. I don't add a lot of salt when cooking and don't add salt at the table unless its absolutely necessary. I have never had a problem with too much salt thankfully.

4. The Rope profile image55

WOW Justine, what an experience your sister went through - is she okay today? 

Fishtiger, good for you!  I'm a salt junkie as well but don't add much anywhere else.  Couldn't believe it when I realized my ankles were swelling though so went on a quest and couldn't believe the hidden salt traps I found.  Posted some out there in a hub and I'm still finding more amazing products that include salt.  Geezzz, it's everywhere.

5. profile image0
    Justine76posted 8 years ago

another thing that is everywhere is MSG!! And I think my sister is ok. She was so young, my mom put her on a good diet, in a year her blood pressure was normal. I haven't seen her or spoken to her in about 15 years now, but as far as I know she's been fine.

The Ropeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

how sad sad

and BL - I LOVE pepper - use it everywhere!

1. Black Lilly profile image60
        Black Lillyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What about chilli? in large quantities big_smile

6. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 8 years ago

I can't live without salt, and would add black pepper to nearly anything.
    Sugar though... last pack I bought remains unopened for about half a year big_smile

7. skristoff profile image59
    skristoffposted 8 years ago

I've always told people I don't have a sweet tooth, I have a salt/fat tooth.  I don't add salt to my foods, but I loooove salty snacks.  My favorite is sour cream and onion potato chips.  Also love smokehouse almonds.

8. The Rope profile image55

Yum...chilli! The chilli peppers really make it but the chilli powder is full of salt.  I'm still working to get it right without so much salt.

So you're trying to cut on your salt, but you like it very much?

Ohhhh YEAH!  Unfortunately I also love the sweets - favorite treat is a choc dipped pretzel or choc dipped popcorn...yummmm.

Why is it so unfortunate? Chocolate is one of the best treats you can find wink

And the really great thing is that I can actually keep my consumption under control so they are a truly TERRIFIC treat!

9. profile image0
    TMinutposted 8 years ago

I like salt a lot more now that I've been a smoker for so long. It's good because my sister and I both have really low blood pressure and the doctors prescribed more salty food!

That bit about nosebleeds worried me, my grandson has started with nosebleeds, he'll be talking to me and suddenly he just starts bleeding. I thought it was from the dry western air but maybe not then.

My oldest loved salty chips, beer, pickles, and pickle juice since he was very little. The next was like me, sugar freak all the way, but potato chips and salted nuts, even french fries sound really good. Right now. I think I'll go to the store!

10. Rayalternately profile image60
    Rayalternatelyposted 8 years ago

salted pistachio nuts... I'd eat them before anything sweet, every time. Now I'm hungry!

11. The Rope profile image55

Rayalternately - sounds like you are a salt/sweet guy yourself.  Do you like choc covered peanuts?

working