jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What can I use Cumin seeds in?

1. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 5 years ago

What can I use Cumin seeds in?

I bought cumin seeds the other day as the store didn't have any cumin power. Now I'm wondering if it would be better to grind the seeds or can I use them whole.

2. Hyphenbird profile image91
    Hyphenbirdposted 5 years ago

They are really good in rice and add a crunch to salads when sprinkled on top. Toast them in oil like you would sesame seeds or garlic first. They do get bitter if burned so watch them carefully.

3. carol7777 profile image90
    carol7777posted 5 years ago

I use them the same as cumin powder. I put them in creamy dressings.  I add them to soup as they seem to dissolve. I always put a bunch in salads.  I have never had a problem because the are in seeds. Probably healthier also.

4. profile image75
    Annabelle Tylerposted 5 years ago

I usually use cumin seeds as an addition to Tex-Mex dishes - typically ground. However, there are some Indian recipes that call for whole cumin seeds. Usually, you heat the seeds whole in a little oil and add the food you're cooking, like potatoes or rice. It adds a great fragrance to the dish and imparts a smoky flavor to the food. Good luck!

5. vespawoolf profile image97
    vespawoolfposted 5 years ago

I  use cumin seeds in my homemade chili powder. You can find more information in the hub "How to make your own signature chili recipe". They're really good in almost any Mexican dish. I like to toast them and grind them fresh. Here in Peru, they grind them fresh at the open air markets. They're so much better that way!

6. chefmancave profile image85
    chefmancaveposted 5 years ago

I love sauteed vegetables. Adding a few cumin seeds before adding the vegetables gives the dish some zip.

7. FBNaturalR profile image61
    FBNaturalRposted 5 years ago

You could grind the seeds to a powder, and what have I used the powder for?  Putting it on my bologna sandwiches.  I have used that or ginger powder, or paprika.  Those can add some flavor and variety to a broke diet.

8. jpcmc profile image88
    jpcmcposted 5 years ago

I usually pair it with curry.  They are great for Indian, Mexican dishes.