What is your special dish?

Jump to Last Post 1-43 of 43 discussions (72 posts)
  1. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 14 years ago

Everyone has an aunt that makes THE best potato salad. What is a dish that you are known for or you can make really well?

I would have to say that I am known for my rosettes because they are difficult to make. Sadly, they are time consuming to make, but quick to eat! The disappear faster than I can make them!

What is something that you can cook that is special?

1. Army Infantry Mom profile image60
      Army Infantry Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Home Made Pizza's !!!!!!

2. poketo secret profile image40
      poketo secretposted 14 years agoin reply to this

YUMMY!!!!!! YOU ALL ARE MAKING ME HUNGRY!!!I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE SOME OF YOUR RECIPES TO TRY SOME THING NEW. FOR ME I AM KNOWN FOR CHEESE CAKE YUM!!

3. Precious Pearl profile image75
      Precious Pearlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am known for my Spinach/Artichoke Dip.  It is a hit at the parties!  It is simple and tastes delicious.  People will often request it when I go to parties.  The recipe is available on my hubpages.  Also, I make some mean fudge during the holidays.

2. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

I have a casserole I created about 30 years ago that I am known for. It is Mexican meets Italian. It is spicy and the "heat" is adjustable to one's own taste.
    I will be posting it in a hub I am working on as soon as I get pics back.

3. B.Z. Alixandre profile image67
    B.Z. Alixandreposted 14 years ago

I make stuffed peppers.  I think I'm known for it because I do it differently than most.  I use red peppers (I think green ones are bitter when heated, and becomes an unappetizing color) and shredded pork loin (I dislike ground meat and think it's too dense).  I also add wine, breading, and white crumbled cheese--feta or gorgonzola.  It does tend to take a long time.  It started out as a leftover meal, for left over pork loin, and now I have to make the pork loin and then make the stuffed peppers.  But it's always a crowd pleaser.

1. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that sounds absolutely amazing! My father makes stuffed cabbage rolls that are the best ever. It's a Polish recipe as my dad is Polish. They are to die for. I should get that recipe from him! That sounds really good!

1. B.Z. Alixandre profile image67
        B.Z. Alixandreposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had some fantastic ukrainian cabbage rolls at a friends wedding (it was one of their family specialties).  It was fantastic.

2. kmackey32 profile image63
        kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I also make stuffed peppers, although I don't eat the pepper. smile

1. poketo secret profile image40

DO YOU BOIL YOUR PEPPERS BEFORE YOU STUFF THEM? I NEVER  DID UNTIL THE OTHER DAY AND WOW I REALLY LIKED IT LIKE THAT. STUFFED PEPPERS ARE AWESPME!!

1. B.Z. Alixandre profile image67
            B.Z. Alixandreposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no, i don't really prep the pepper.  I like the pepper to be firm, I don't like soft vegetables.

2. Army Infantry Mom profile image60
      Army Infantry Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mmmmmm,...When's dinner again ????

4. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

I make an authentic won ton that has been passed down in our family for generations...and some of our hubbers have tried it with great results!

5. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Mmmm....
    I make really good Eggplant Parm that I wrote a hub on.

I also make apple pies every year for holiday time. I'm known in my family for those.

And cupcakes, I make them every holiday for people at work.

smile

6. Gennifer profile image54
    Genniferposted 14 years ago

I like to make our traditional Belarusian dishes like borsch or draniki, and my boyfriend adores my mushroom soup (he usually ask for another portion) smile

7. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Raw salmon tongue

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

@Misha: Do you use a rod and reel or a net? Or maybe go to Walmart and buy frozen? Is this a way for you to also catch a girl? LOL http://www.clipartof.com/images/thumbnail/1231.gif

I am known for my West Texas Style Brisket that takes up to 18 hours of smoking/cooking time.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuv the brisket.

8. Michele Arrvinte profile image61
    Michele Arrvinteposted 14 years ago

I can make great hummus with tomato salad. smile

9. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Usually I catch it at Whole Foods, or any Asian grocery. I use credit card. And no, never frozen. tongue

As for the girls - come on Charlie, we both are at the age when we don't need to catch any, they just come all by themselves smile

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes Misha, they do seem to just come to us don't they? hehe I love it too even though I don't act upon my desire for them anymore, but it is fun.

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah Charlie, the same here smile

10. Anath profile image61
    Anathposted 14 years ago

Strawberries and cream... my speciality!

11. rmcrayne profile image91
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

I love to eat and try to restrict calories to something worth being fat for.  I think I have multiple special dishes.  I was in the Air Force 20 years, and macaroni and cheese was my thing for most all Thanksgiving and Christmas meals.  There were usually enough fellow Southerners around, who viewed homemade baked mac and cheese to be just as important as the turkey.  It was a great compliment, but I felt pretty obligated to make it for all holiday gatherings.  Of course, I too expected it at holidays, and since my mom and aunts were nowhere near, it was up to me!

12. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Actually it's my dad who makes the best potato salad smile

And as for me...well...hmmm...I would say I took after my mom and can make a killer broccoli salad. And i make really good cakes...

As for cooking I guess I can grill on my george forman girrl any kind of meat and fish. smile but that's about it. OH and really good soda pot roast. I'll have to make a hub out of that one. smile

13. Rob Dee profile image61
    Rob Deeposted 14 years ago

The dish i'm most "famous" for is spaghetti sauce because i use Jimmy Dean sausage with the ground turkey....and it has to cook all day.

But i can make chicken tikka masala or chicken penang too....

1. OtoyaCasanova profile image61
      OtoyaCasanovaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My unique dish would be the "Pan De Salle Speciale"
      which only takes a Pandesal Roll, Philadelphia Cheese
      and spanish sardines. Along with Caesar's Salad, those
      are my unique meals. smile

14. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Eating it right now-Shepherds Pie

1. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My hubby loves Shepherds Pie, but his mom won't give him the recipe sad

I enjoy cooking.  Ribs top my list, followed by Irish Beef Stew.

15. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Angelina Jolie chilled !

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Goober!  lol

My dish:  vegetarian pad thai.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why chilled?  You don't like it hot?

16. laringo profile image60
    laringoposted 14 years ago

I have many specialties, but one that stands out is seafood,sausage, and chicken gumbo. My folks were both born in Louisiana and I watched my mom make this recipe throughout my childhood. I think I mastered it.

17. quicksand profile image82
    quicksandposted 14 years ago

Chinese fried rice with a large slice of baked ginger fish, the usual chop suey, onion leaves along with chilli-pepper omlette ... drooooooooool!

I hear that's on the menu in heaven! smile

1. Envoy profile image68
      Envoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love Chinese food. Baked Ginger fish that sounds really great. Never had it.

1. quicksand profile image82
        quicksandposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try some! smile

1. Aaron.wang profile image60
          Aaron.wangposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you can come to China, I urge you enough to eat.

2. Envoy profile image68
          Envoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I definitely will try it, it sound wonderful.
          I love ginger & fish both yum.
          Do you have a recipe hub on this?
          If not I would love to have recipe smile

1. quicksand profile image82
            quicksandposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I do not have a recipe. We get it from a take-away restaurant. smile

18. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

My kids' fav that I make is either my very special Chicken Marsala or Chicken Piccata with a side of mushroom risotto.

1. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Recipes please????

19. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 14 years ago

I think that my family's favorite for me to fix is chicken quesadillas--we had a young nephew live with us for a few months about six years ago, and when we saw him recently, he mentioned that he really missed my cooking--but especially those quesadillas...big_smile

20. Envoy profile image68
    Envoyposted 14 years ago

For me it's BBQ ribs.
    Everyone that knows me always ask me when I'm having the next rib party hee hee. I cook huge racks so everyone can eat what they want then take some home. Yum smile

21. Song-Bird profile image69
    Song-Birdposted 14 years ago

Any kind of pie..and apple crisp.  Now I'm feeling hungry.

22. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Vodka ice cream with ginger in homemade pizzelle bowls and hot fudge sauce.

23. goodfriendiam profile image60
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

Homemade bread, pizza dough, anything baked goods is what my family always ask for. I make a pizza crust that taste just as good as authentic Italian pizzerias, if not better....lol

24. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

I am master of the grill and the omelet, but my gyoza are truly the stuff of legend.

1. poketo secret profile image40

I WISH I WAS GOOD AT THE GRILL WHAT IS GYOZA?

25. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Ratatouille and/or vegan lasagna...It's actually really good and many who've tried it swears it has meat. I learned it working as the head cook of a camp.  I also know how to make vegan pancakes too.

26. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 14 years ago

Wow, all these different dishes sound wonderful! It's amazing that there is such a large amount of Eastern European influence in many of the dishes mentioned. It makes me feel really proud of my heritage.

On another note, I really should make a recipe hub. Anyone have any tips on how to make a good one?

27. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Take a look at Mark Knowles hubs, he knows what he is doing smile

28. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I have a few dishes that, for some reason, my family does seem to like; but for the most part, for me, if something I cook is edible it's "special".    lol   (I hate cooking - and it shows.  smile  )

29. Aaron.wang profile image60
    Aaron.wangposted 14 years ago

jiaozi.Because it is the traditional staple food of our country.I hope you like.

1. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what I said! Hen hao Chi!

1. Aaron.wang profile image60
        Aaron.wangposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah!

30. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Spaghetti Bolognese!

31. Davinagirl3 profile image59
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I make the best pina-colada cake in the world.  It took years to perfect.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now this sounds great to me! I have a friend who makes a pina colada and margarita cheesecake (both no-bake) and they are amazing. lol, just what how much you eat before driving.

32. goodfriendiam profile image60
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

A good man or woman
    Recipe follows:

Take a handful of trust
    a -pinch of faith
    a -dash of honesty
    a -splash of humor
    a -stalk of I got your back
    5 -full bags of laughter
    add- a lot of endurance
    a whole lot of passion
    mix it all up, and devour

Add extras if you like......smile

33. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

I finally got pics back and wrote a hub on my special dish.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Mexican-Italian … ow-to-cook

34. Play Free Games profile image56
    Play Free Gamesposted 14 years ago

Beef croquettes ! My moms recipe was the best. It's been a while since I made them. Oh course I lost the recipe and my mom passed away a couple years ago. I'm sure I could make them again, but the exact amount of spices I may have difficulty with.

35. profile image52
    marianne1832posted 14 years ago

I am a former chef and by far everyone who has ever tasted it, loves my Chicken Cacciatore

36. M.KAMRAN KHALID profile image60
    M.KAMRAN KHALIDposted 14 years ago

I LIKE Pizzzza YAmmmmmmmi

37. nikki1 profile image60
    nikki1posted 14 years ago

Pasta salad.. with feta in it..

38. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I think we need a recipe forum with sub-categories so we can share all of our wonderful recipes & still make hubs about them.

39. profile image0
    K.Robertsonposted 14 years ago

My specialty is three cheese lasagna, pasta bake and tacos. The lasagna I only make on occasion since it's so time consuming, but to me it's better than a turkey or ham at Christmas!

40. maven101 profile image72
    maven101posted 14 years ago

I make my wife cry when I make Cassoulet...

41. megs78 profile image62
    megs78posted 14 years ago

Tourtiere!  It is actually my hubbys specialty but now he's got me making it and its a crowd-pleaser across all cultures.

42. fortunerep profile image69
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

My homemade lasagna with goat cheese, mozzaarella, Parmasan, and Ricotta.

43. nikki1 profile image60
    nikki1posted 14 years ago

I love chinese food ;-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)