jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you calculate the nutritional information for a recipe?

1. stayingalivemoma profile image84
    stayingalivemomaposted 5 years ago

How do you calculate the nutritional information for a recipe?

I'm not sure if all nutritional calculators are created equal. What's the best way or site to do this?

2. RASO profile image73
    RASOposted 5 years ago

I help myself with google and other recipe sites, who has all those nutritional stats allready calculated.

3. miss1magination profile image66
    miss1maginationposted 5 years ago

I wouldn't live without nutritional scales. You can pick one up for $ 30 or so, they are very useful:)

4. Dee aka Nonna profile image80
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 5 years ago

This is a hard one for me.  I often do what some other have said and look it up online.  I also have a friends who is a dietician and will call and beg for help...LOL

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Step 1
    Make a list of the name and quantity of each ingredient that is called for in your recipe.
    Step 2
    Refer to the nutrition label on each packaged food product. Write down the serving size and the nutritional information for an individual serving.
    Step 3
    Multiply the nutritional values of the individual serving by the number of servings you will use in the recipe. For example, if your recipe calls for 2 cups of 1 percent milk, and a single cup of milk contains 110 calories, the total milk calories in your recipe will be 220 calories.
    Step 4
    Locate an online or hard copy database of nutritional information. Enter the type and quantity of each bulk food item in your recipe and record the nutritional information. The USDA National Nutrient Database allows a search by product name, food group or individual nutrients.
    Step 5
    Total the number of calories and nutrients for all of the items in your recipe. Calculate the values of an individual serving by dividing the total amount by the number of servings your recipe will provide

6. Robie Benve profile image99
    Robie Benveposted 5 years ago

I use a couple of web sites that calculate the nutritional values per each ingredient and then add them up.
    It's a little labor intense for recipes with a lot of elements, but I don't mind.
    The web sites I use are:

Hope this helps